Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

1986 gmc: 4x4 pick-up with a 305. the motor..ticking noise..lifter

my son has a 1986 gmc 4x4 pick-up with a 305. the motor is making a ticking noise. i have been told that it may be a lifter, is there a way to repair this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Yes replacing the lifters is not a very difficult job and I would also replace the push runs in the rocker arms at same time . Also keep in mind if any of the lifters or worn where they contact the camshaft then the camshaft will need to be replaced also .Remove the valve covers and the intake manifold then simply on bolt all the rocker arms you can remove them and the push rods ,Then using a pair of a pliers lift each Lifter from its pocket and replace them with new ones
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to tighten the not on the rocker arm last night and it did not stop the ticking. I have a couple of questions. First - can you tighten the nut on the rocker too much? If so how do youy know if you have? Second - are the push rods supposed to turn or are they supposed to be tight all the time? Third - is the ticking noise because the spring in the lifter has stuck so the push rod is tapping against the lifter instead of having constant contact with the push rod? Forth - when replacing the lifter should I use a solid lifter or a hydraulic/sprig type lifter? Are there any other tips i may need to get this work done?

When replacing the lifters that use the stock listers which would be hydraulic, the taking noise may be because the pushrod is tapping against the lifter or it may be that the lister has lost its hydraulic pressure in the insides of the left are are making noise. The push rides will rotate even when they are adjusted properly.

ENGINE RUNNING ADJUSTMENT

NOTE: The following procedure, performed with the engine running, should be done only in case readjustment is required.
  1. After engine has been warmed to operating temperature, remove valve cover and install a new valve cover gasket.
  2. With engine running at idle speed, back off valve rocker arm nut until rocker arm starts to clatter.
  3. Turn rocker arm nut down slowly until the clatter just stops. This is the zero lash position.
  4. Turn nut down 1/4 additional turn and pause 10 seconds until engine runs smoothly. Repeat additional 1/4 turns, pausing 10 seconds each time, until nut has been turned down the specified number of turns from the zero lash position. This preload adjustment must be done slowly to allow the lifter to adjust itself to prevent the possibility of interference between the intake valve head and top of piston, which might result in internal damage and/or bent pushrods. Noisy lifters should be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How difficult is it to replace the cam? It is my understanding that I will have to take the front of the motor off and if so is it difficult to re-install the timing chain or do i need any special tools to do that?
No special tools are needed but yes you'll need to remove the water pump the radiator and the timing cover . And you also need to remove the air conditioning condenser to slide the camshaft all the way out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do i need to remove the timing chain or just the cover? If I need to remove the timing chain what precautions do I need to take when taking it off and or putting it back on?

Nothing special , yes the timing chain needs to be removed and I would suggest you replace the timing chain in the gears if you're going this far it's not a very difficult procedure . Luckily this is one of the easier ones to do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only because I am not an expert is there somewhere I can get a step by step description of what I need to do?

Here's the procedure is outlined in the Manual
Service and Repair

Fig. 34 Valve timing marks. V6-229, 262, V8-267, 305, 350, 400 & 454

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

V6-229, 262, V8-267, 305, 350, 400 & 454

1. Remove timing case cover as outlined previously.
  2. Remove crankshaft oil slinger.
  3. Crank engine until "O" marks on sprockets are in alignment, Fig. 34.
  4. Remove three camshaft-to-sprocket bolts.
  5. Remove camshaft sprocket and timing chain together. Sprocket is a light press fit on camshaft for approximately 1/8 inch. If sprocket does not come off easily, a light blow with a plastic hammer on the lower edge of the sprocket should dislodge it.
  6. If crankshaft sprocket is to be replaced, remove it with a suitable gear puller. Install new sprocket, aligning key and keyway.
  7. Install chain onto camshaft sprocket. Hold sprocket with chain hanging vertically, then align marks on sprockets as shown, Fig. 34. The valve timing marks shown in Fig. 34, do not indicate TDC compression stroke for No. 1 cylinder, which is used during distributor installation. If distributor was removed, install timing chain and sprockets, aligning timing marks, Fig. 34, then rotate engine until No. 1 cylinder is on compression and camshaft timing mark is 180°from valve timing position shown in Fig. 34. Install distributor.
  8. Align dowel in camshaft with dowel hole in sprocket and install sprocket on camshaft. Do not attempt to drive sprocket on camshaft as welch plug at rear of engine can be dislodged.
  9. Draw sprocket onto camshaft, using the three mounting bolts. Tighten to 20 ft. lbs. torque.
  10. Lubricate timing chain and install cover.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is great but the picture did not come through. Is there a web site i should go to to get the picture?

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we replaced the cam, lifters, push rods and rockers. We have found that we have a bearing that went bad on the crankshaft. We also found one piston that has the piston skirt that is broken. Can we jusrt replace the crank shaft or do we need to replace the piston(s) as well?
Yes if the pistons skirt is broken you'll need to replace The piston also
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner