Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician

how much does it cost to replace a ignition switch on a 1998

Customer Question

how much does it cost to replace a ignition switch on a 1998 chevy malibu?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Places will charge between 1-1.5 hours to replace the ignition switch. depends on the labor rates in your area. A dealer will be around $100. an hour and a repair shop will be between $50-$85.

A new ignition switch will cost around $200 at a dealer and about 50- $75. cheaper at a discount auto part store.

These are for the electrical part. If you need the ignition lock cylinder also, It will be more. The Ignition lock cylinder is the part that the key goes in and goes inside the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there a video available if i wanted to do this myself? do you reccommend doing this myself? i am not a mechanic..
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

These are not hard to do.

I can put some instructions together and you can see if you want to do it your self.

There is not much out there as far as video repair instructions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes please send the instructions thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Click here. It should open up to a PDF file. Let me know if you have any questions or if you run into a problem while doing it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the instructions. i have one more question. the reason i think i needed to replace the ignition switch was because when i turned the ignition key, the car would always start but the heat/air blower would not work or the auto windows would not go down or the dash indicator warning lights would come on. the last time that happened was about 8 years ago and the dealer repleced the ignition swtich. so it think the same thing is happening again. does that make sense? could it be something else? everything else is working fine. .
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Yes, this is what happens when it goes out. common issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my 1988 buick regal 6cyl starts but it cuts off after 10 minutes. could it be a fuel pump? what are the symtoms of a bad fuel pump? how much will it cost to replace?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you know what size engine?