Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

2000 Chevy Blazer: 4.3 engine runs real rough..misfires..stay running

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 engine runs real rough. Constantly misfires. Need to keep giving gas to stay running. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, & distributor cap. Plugs were badly fouled. Made no difference. Have following DTC codes: P0300, P0108, P0101, P0410, P1416, & P1870. While troubleshooting, (looking for a vacuum leak) I removed and covered the power brake hose. The car actually runs better with the hose open, sucking air.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
Hi, were the plugs fouled with gas? Also is it hard to start? blow any black smoke? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks,Eric
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Plugs were fouled with carbon. About two months before that I had pulled one plug and it was clean. This happened suddenly. I also check fuel-line presure - 62 PSI. I should add that when my son drove it to my house, it was low on radiator fluid. I just filled the raidiator and realized I have a leak on the radiator. No doubt my son overheated the engine. I should have checked compression when he replaced the plugs.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
Okay, the one dtc p0101 is for the mass airflow sensor performance and this could be causing some of your problems. Try unplugging it. It is in the duct from the air cleaner to the top of throttle body. Also you can try cleaning it with some spray brake clean, but be careful it is sensitive. Let me know what you find. Thanks,Eric