Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

How can I remove my oil pan on my 1996 Chevy S10 pickup

How can I remove my oil pan on my 1996 Chevy S10 pickup?
so you the timing cover is off?correct?and you need to remove the oil pan to replace the one piece oil pan gasket?sorry for the 20 questions i just want to give you the correct answer.is this a 4wd?or 2wd S10 pu?is the 8th digit of the vin a W or an X ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
8th Digit is a W. 4WD. (4.3) Actually the timing cover is off, replaced the chain and we need to put the cover back on. Do we need to take the whole pan out in order to put the cover back on? Can we just drop the front end of the pan so we can get the black rubber seal back in place? There were pieces of the end of the rubber piece that fit between the oil pan and engine block. One is broken off now and the other one won't slide between the block and the oil pan. Is there an easier way???
technically you are supposed to remove the pan.that oil pan gasket is 1 piece and the front lower seal is part of that oil pan gasket.NOW there are 2 ways you can go about this without dropping the oil pan(big job to do) if you did not drop the pan just the big front gasket piece is the problem you are having.is this correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, we can't get it back in there to put the timing cover back on.
ok you can to one of the 2 things.either glue back in that seal and when it dries try to reinstall the timing cover with some sealer on it.OR get a tube of the good gray RTV sealer clean all the oil off and make it spotless and dry cut that lower seal down and use the gray sealer just about the whole tube and then put the cover on.once the cover is on take you finger and run it between where the RTV pushed out and let it sit for @ 12 hours.thats the only other 2 things you can do instead of removing the pan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have all of the bolts out of the oil pan, the starter is still in place...do I need to remove that? Is it really that big a job to remove the oil pan? I know you say technically it is a big job, but I don't understand what is holding it up at this point? If it means tearing down the entire underside of the truck, answer this - when you say "cut that lower seal down" what do you mean by that? and..if I go this way, will the RTV sealer last or will I have oil leaks?
if you put the RTV on clean it should hold.to remove the oil pan the engine has to come out!there is no other way to get the pan off in the truck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, still didn't answer what you mean by cutting the lower seal down - remove completely or part of it? It is loose from the rest of the gasket at this point.
cut it down in half and glue it into the front lip of the pan then RTV it.down in half as in make it shorter so you can add allot of RTV between the gasket and the lower lip of the timing cover.then it will give you enough room to push the cover down and in to the timing cover dowels
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
what do you mean incomplete? the correct way to do this is remove the engine if you will not remove the engine use RTV in place of that front part of the oil pan gasket by either cutting it out or cutting that lip seal so it is shorter and use RTV then put the cover on
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did accept your answer, but am looking for more advice.
ok hang on lets see if another expert will post
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

another one did with the same - yet different response - said take the gasket out completely - use BLACK RTV instead of gray - very close and I appreciate your help.

any time