George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

2005 Chevy Malibu Classic, horn not working, fuse blown. When

2005 Chevy Malibu Classic, horn not working, fuse blown. When I try to replace the fuse, horn blows continuously. Horn relay OK (swapped with another relay). 12V constant on energizing coils of horn relay. Alarm button on key flashes lights, but 12v remains constant on horn relay.

Would you suspect short somewhere, or stuck 'horn switch' in steering wheel? How can I tell? Wiring diagram in Haynes manual does not show any horn wiring. There are 6 wires coming out of steering wheel. A white and a green wire go into a yellow outer covering (I assume these are air bag). A pink, a blue, a grey, and a black and grey wire go into a black outer covering. I assume these are cruise control and horn, but don't know which is which.
Is horn switch actually part of the air bag assembly? Is it replaceable?
If I have to remove air bag, Haynes manual indicates 2005 and earlier has 4 'holes' that you have to insert flat blade screwdriver and twist, 2006 and newer has 2 holes that you just press a blunt object into. My 2005 appears to have only 2 holes.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Bob
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Yes I suspect that the horn switch is shorted,

The horn wire is tan so you haven't found the correct wire yet,

To remove the airbag you will need a release tool that can be purchased at most autoparts stores, this has bevels that slide the fasterner out of the way so the airbag can release.

Pull the bag off, disconnect the horn wire and see if the horn is still shorted

Click here

And here

The clock spring may be shorted if the horn continues to blow

Let me know what you find, you may have to pull a wire at the body control module to trace this one down

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have again checked all the wires coming from the steering wheel (clock spring assembly), and there is no tan wire. There are only the 6 wires I mentioned before (a white and a green wire go into a yellow outer covering. A pink, a blue, a grey, and a black and grey wire go into a black outer covering.)

Regarding the removal of air bag, the document you provided shows bascially what the Haynes manual indicated, except that the Haynes manual indicated you could use a flat bladed screwdriver in each slot and twist slightly to release the clips (instead of the tool which releases 2 at a time). However, there are only 2 'holes' in the back of my steering wheel, one on each side at about the location where the picture in the document you provided shows the slots with the removal tool inserted. Looking in them with flashlight and mirror, looks like they each have a torx screw -- could this be the mechanism for removal of air bag? The only other thing even close are small slots in the cutout section right next to what appears to be the clock spring. There are 2 small slots right next to each other, about 1/8 inch by 1/4 inch wide, and separated from each other by only 1/8 inch. There are 2 pair of these, and they are not exactly opposite each other -- both are on the top half.

Also, everything I have seen indicates that the horn switch(s) are in the air bag assembly (and that is the area you press on to beep the horn) -- and would be removed with the air bag. Are the switch(s) replaceable if they are actually in the removed air bag assembly?

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I used a Malibu and you have a Classic.

The horn wire is black.

The tool allows you to relaes both catches at once, trying to relaese them one at a time will not work as you have to pull one side of the bag up and hold it while you release the other side but as you have a Classic and not a Malibu see below for the procedure which does not require the tool

Click here

And here

The horn switch is part of the bag and would have to be replaced as an assembly or a seperate horn switch wired in if your local laws allow that.

Sorry I did not ask for clarification when I saw that you had posted Malibu Classic

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no black wire coming from the clock spring -- the airbag removal procedure for the Classic does indicate another 'horn wire' besides the horn ground wire that needs to be disconnected/reconnected when removing air bag, so perhaps on the classic, the horn does not use the clock spring, but some other mechanism, which would mean that the black wire could be on one of the other plugs with the wires from the turn signals, wipers, etc.

I need to get some painting done on my house now so can't mess with the car more now until later today or tomorrow.

Question: If I wait till I look at it again, will there be some way for me to contact you again to 'accept answer' and/or ask another question? Alternatively, if I 'Accept Answer' now, will I still be able to ask you another question about it later after I look at it again?

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You posted above that there was a black wire?

The horn is grounded to the steering column so there is only one horn wire and it does not run through the clockspring on your Classic

Here is the diagram, see if it is the same as the Haynes

Click here

You will always have this question available when you login to the JA site, just click the "My Questions" tab at the top of the page and make a post. I will answer once I see that you have posted.

Sorry if I seem a little slow today I have a family obligation that will take me most of the rest of the day so I will watch for your post

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if you received my last message posted...that I did get the air bag disabled and removed, and the problem is definitley in the horn switch in the air bag. Not sure what I'm going to do to fix it yet, as a new air bag is $900. Will check to see if local (Texas) laws allow an 'external' horn button.

The horn wiring diagram, and the disable/enable procedure for the air bag (once we got the correct one for the Malibu classic) were most helpful.

After sending my last reply yesterday, since I had not heard from you by late last night, I did also click on the Accept Answer button...maybe that didn't work either. Let me know if the 'accept' still isn't showing, and I will click it again.

Thanks again for your help!

Bob

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

No I did not get a reply, all I can see is what you can see above.

Don't click the accept button yet as the site has been having problems with the accepts going through so I want to send your question out to the engineers so they can look at it.

You may be able to find a used bag at car-part.com that will save you some money. You can see locations of used parts and prices right from your computer and there will be contact information so you can double check the color and availability.

Let me know what else I can do for you and I will send your question out now

Thanks again,

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years