GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

chevy malibu: is having having trouble starting

My chevey malibu is having having trouble starting. But the thing is it will run for about three days and then it won't want to start. Then it will start again and then in three days it will stop. I replaced the battery and checked all the fluids , alternater and transmition as well.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name? I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, When it will not start, does the security light flash?

Customer :

My name is michele

Customer :

Sometime it does and sometime it doesnt

GM Tech (Cam) :

So the light flashes when it will not start?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is it starting nmow?

GM Tech (Cam) :

now I mean?

Customer :

this time their was no light flashing

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is it not starting now?

Customer :

I put a new batterey in and it started up and in just one day it didnt want to start

Customer :

no it doesnt want to start

Customer :

no lights are flashing

Customer :

What do you think of the theft system? Can that cause my car not to start?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, the theft will stop it from flashing. Try this to relearn it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The relearn for this theft system is easy to follow and takes about 15 mins. Start by turning your radio and heater off. Next try to start the car. It may not start or even turn over, but that is fine. Release the key from the crank position back to the run position and wait 12 mins for the security light to turn off. Then turn the car off for 1 min. After this time, try to start the car.

Customer :

ok, will this keep happening?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, but this will give us an idea if this is it or not.

Customer :

ok, I wrote all of this down. my car is not with me

Customer :

I just took it to two shops and they say nothin is wrong

Customer :

everything is checkin out fine

Customer :

but that theft system light has been coming on latley

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, try this and see. If it works for than once then we can work on the solution, either replace the passlock sensor whcih is the ignition cylinder or bypass it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer :

ok, thanks how do I get back to you?

Customer :

is this expensive to fix

Customer :

?

Customer :

Do you think it might be something else?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It could be, but we need to do this first to see.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark the page to get back here.

Customer :

ok thanks so much:)

Customer :

Will do

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.