John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

My duramax diesel truck just stopped running..highway..fuel filter

my duramax diesel truck just stopped running after making a turn off of the highway on a secondary street. I changed the fuel filter and primed the air out but it will not start.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Check the fuses in the under hood electrical center. I have seen several that blow the FICM (fuel injection control module) fuse.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is that fuse listed under "ficm" on the table of cover?
Yes, I suggest you check all of them for voltage at both sides of the fuse.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont see that particular fuse?
Fuse marked EDU. But I say again, check all of them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the edu, but it seems to be okay! One more question, What is the likelyhood that it could be the fuel pump and are there ways of checking it?

The 6.6 Duramax only uses a fuel pump if there are 2 tanks & this is used to balance the fuel in the aux. tank. The fuel injection pump uses vacuum to draw the fuel out of the tank. Go to the fuel filter under the hood & push the prime bulb about 10-15 times & then try & start .If it starts you have lost vacuum in the fuel line or have an air leak.

If the fuel system will not even briefly prime to 10 psi and will not start, the check valve in the fuel filter/heater element housing is stuck open.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will accept this answer for now because I want you to get paid, but I am assuming that i am pressing the prime bulb without loosening the plug that lets the air out? I may have a question about the fuel filter/heater element housing.

Ok,press the bulb about 10 -15 times & open the bleeder to see if any air comes out. Press the bulb again about 10-15 times & see if the vehicle will start.

If air comes out ,there is an air leak in the fuel system,if you have not recently had it open.