Thomas
Thomas, Chevy Technician
Experience:  certified mechanic for 15 years

1983 fuel gauge,you can ground he sending unit wire..reads empty

Customer Question

1983 fuel gauge,you can ground he sending unit wire and it reads empty,take the wire off and it reads full.with the sending unit it will read empty and as you work it by hand it goes to 1/2 full and then gauge stops.I have a new sender (same) tried another gauge (same.)checked wire from gauge to sender (good)checked for short to ground(good)is there suppost to be a resitor in the wire?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome, Does your sending unit have a good ground?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the sender has a good ground,should the sender wire have voltage
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
No it shouldn't have much voltage on it. You could read a small amount of voltage from the gauge.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK,I tookthe fuel gauge out and put voltage to the gauge grounded the gauge and sending unit together,run a jumper from the sender to gauge.when working the sender by hand the gauge will move from empty to 1/2full when the sender is in the full position,I also tried another gauge and it is the same.I bought the sender from O'Reileys auto parts.could the resistance be wrong in the sender.empty it is 29 ohms full it is 96 ohms.Thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

When you ground the wire and bypass the sender the gauge shows full correct?

I so it has to be the wrong or a bad sending unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have information on the ohms the sender will read when in the empty and full position.the guy that owns the truck put one in from napa.I compared the ohms and they are close the same
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I have no specs on that I can opt out and let someone else help you.

Thomas, Chevy Technician
Experience: certified mechanic for 15 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when you ground the sender it goes to empty,take the wire off and it goes to full.Thanks for your help
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
It goes to empty with the ground wire off on the sender on full?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when you ground the sender it goes to empty
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Ok does it matter were the sender is positioned?