Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

need a timing chain diagram for a 2000 tracker 2.0 DOHC

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Helo, do you need both cam chain diagrams and crankshaft chain diagrams?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am replacing all the gears and both chains and both tensioners. The upper chain broke. I need the diagram of all the marks and the procedure to install.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Camshaft info: crank coming next

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the timing chain housing. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement.
  3. Remove the spark plugs in order to make rotating the crankshaft to line up the timing marks easier.

Important:

• The timing marks must be correctly aligned before disassembly in order to correctly install the timing chains.
  • Avoid turning the camshafts and the crankshaft once the timing chain is removed. Valve and piston damage may occur.
  • If necessary, the camshafts (1) may be turned 15 degrees from the notches (6) on the cylinder head in either direction.
  • If necessary, the crankshaft (5) may be turned 90 degrees from the mark (4) on the engine block in either direction.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Rotate the crankshaft so that the following conditions are met:
    • The number 1 (front most) cylinder is at the Top Dead Center (TDC) position.
    • The keyway on the crankshaft (5) aligns with the mark on the engine block (4).
    • The arrow (3) on the idler sprocket is pointing upward.
    • The guide pins (1) on the camshaft sprockets line up with the notches (6) on the cylinder head.
  1. Relieve the tension on the camshaft timing chain by turning the intake camshaft slightly counterclockwise.

Register Here

1. Remove the nut and 2 bolts (1,2).
  2. Remove the camshaft timing chain tensioner and the gasket.

Register Here

1. Hold the camshaft with a wrench and remove the camshaft sprocket bolts (1).
  2. Remove the camshaft sprockets and chain.
  3. Inspect the following components for wear and damage:
  1. Replace worn or damaged components as necessary.

Installation Procedure

Register Here

1. Ensure that the crankshaft keyway is aligned with the mark on the engine block (3).

Register Here

1. Ensure that the idler sprocket arrow (2) is pointing upward.
  2. Ensure that the camshaft guide pins (1) are aligned with the notches (3) on the cylinder head.

Register Here

1. Align the yellow link (1) of the camshaft timing chain with the arrow (2) on the idler sprocket.

Register Here

1. Align the dark blue link (1) of the camshaft timing chain with the arrows (2,3) on the camshaft sprockets.
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets with the guide pins and install the camshaft timing sprockets and chain.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Register Here

1. Install the camshaft sprocket bolts (1).
    • Tighten the bolts to 80 Nm (58 ft. lbs.) .

Register Here

1. Compress the camshaft tensioner plunger into the body. Insert a retainer (a paper clip or similar tool) through the hole in the body in order to hold the plunger in place.

Register Here

1. Install the gasket and the camshaft timing chain tensioner.
    • Tighten the bolts (1) to 11 Nm (97 inch lbs.) .
    • Tighten the nut (2) to 45 Nm (33 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Remove the retainer from the tensioner.

Register Here

1. Turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions realigning the keyway on the crankshaft (5) with the timing mark on the engine block (4).
    • Ensure that the guide pins on the camshafts (1) are in line with the notches on the cylinder head (6).
    • Apply engine oil to the following:
    • The timing chains
    • The tensioner
    • The guides
    • The sprockets
  1. Install the spark plugs.
  1. Install the timing chain housing. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
aution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

2. Remove the spark plugs in order to make rotating the crankshaft to line up the timing marks easier.
  3. Remove the timing chain housing. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement.

Important:

Register Here

Register Here

1. Remove the nut and 2 bolts (1,2).

Register Here

1. Replace any worn or damaged component.

Register Here

1. Remove the 2 bolts and the crankshaft timing chain tensioner (3).
  2. Remove the bolt and the crankshaft timing chain adjustable guide (1).
  3. Remove the 2 bolts and the crankshaft timing chain fixed guide (2).
  4. Remove the idler sprocket and the crankshaft timing chain.
  5. Remove the crankshaft timing sprocket.
  6. Inspect the following components for wear and damage:
  1. Inspect that the latch and teeth of the crankshaft timing chain tensioner are undamaged and that the tensioner functions correctly.
  2. Replace any worn or damaged component.

Installation Procedure

Register Here

1. Inspect that the timing mark on the engine block (1) is aligned with the crankshaft keyway.
  2. Install the crankshaft sprocket (2).

Register Here

1. Apply engine oil to the idler sprocket bushing.
  2. Install the timing chain to the idler sprocket by aligning the dark blue link (1) of the timing chain with the mark on the sprocket (2).

Register Here

1. Install the timing chain to the crankshaft sprocket by aligning the yellow link (4) of the chain with the mark on the crankshaft sprocket (3).
  2. Install the idler sprocket.

Register Here

1. Install the timing chain fixed guide (2).
    • Tighten the 2 bolts to 9 Nm (62 inch lbs.) .
  1. Install the timing chain adjustable guide (1).
    • Tighten the bolt to 25 Nm (19 ft. lbs.) .

Register Here

1. Hold back the latch, compress the plunger and install a retainer (paper clip or similar tool) to hold the plunger in place.

Register Here

1. Install the timing chain tensioner.
    • Tighten the 2 bolts (1) to 11 Nm (97 inch lbs.) .

Register Here

1. Ensure that the following conditions exist:
    • The crankshaft keyway (3) is aligned with the mark on the engine block (3).
    • The yellow link of the crankshaft timing chain (2) is aligned with the crankshaft timing mark (1).
    • The dark blue link of the timing chain is aligned with the mark on the idler sprocket.

Register Here

1. Ensure that the guide pins (1) of the camshafts are aligned with the notches (3) on the cylinder head.
  2. Ensure that the idler sprocket arrow (2) is pointing upward.

Register Here

Register Here

1. Align the dark blue link (1) of the camshaft timing chain with the arrow (2,3) on the camshaft sprockets.

Register Here

Register Here

1. Compress the camshaft tensioner plunger into the body. Insert a retainer (paper clip or similar tool) through the hole in the body in order to hold the plunger in place.

Register Here

1. Install the camshaft timing chain tensioner.

Register Here

2. Ensure that the guide pins on the camshafts (1) are in line with the notches on the cylinder head (6).
  3. Apply engine oil to the following:
    • The timing chains
    • The tensioner
    • The guides
    • The sprockets
  1. Install the spark plugs.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.