GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I replaced the batteries on my 2006 chevy 2500HD Duramax.

I replaced the batteries on my 2006 chevy 2500HD Duramax. While in the process of doing that, I initially hooked up the first battery I was replacing backwards. Well actually I never got it hooked up all the way because when I touched the negative cable to the positive terminal, with the positive cable connected to the negative terminal, it sparked and I quickly realized my mistake. I switched the cables and replaced the other battery and they seem to work just fine. However, the message board is telling me to "service breaking system". Also, the "ABS" and parking break light are on, the transmission is locked in 2nd gear (safe mode I believe) and the vehicles takes about 2 or 3 try's before it starts, 2 when its warmed up. When shifting from park to a gear its quite rough, but coming back to neutral is unnoticeable. Softer than normal. I hooked up my programmer and checked the codes (maybe its dts #1 U 0101), I clear the faults, which are around 5 faults, all the same code, but as soon as I turn the key on, the faults come back. I have tried to check any fuses that I have thought might have blown or are associated with the ABS, but didn't find any blown. So, what are my options? Seems like whatever happen is the normal thing that happens if cables or jumper cables are hooked up backwards.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name? I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, What are those 5 codes? They will indicate which module is not communicating.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Given the ABS light I suspect the ABS module or even the transmission module was damaged by the incorrect polarity.

GM Tech (Cam) :

try a reset.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Take both cables off both batteries if you have 2 batteries. Touch the ends of one set together for 10 seconds. This resets the entire vehicle and may correct this issue. Try it and see. Let me know.

JACUSTOMER-le8jq1du- :

ok, i'll try it tomorrow. I'm overseas, so its 1030 at night. All 5 faults have the same code. dtc 1, U0101

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, try and see. LEt me know.

JACUSTOMER-le8jq1du- :

well it turns out that it was the abs fuse. Simple, but I couldn't find the fuse. My mechanic did.