Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show

Where is the starter relay on a 2004 chevy malibu?

Customer Question

where is the starter relay on a 2004 chevy malibu?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Hello and good evening. The starter relay is #31 in this picture. It is located in the underhood fuse box in the engine compartment.

Your JA Expert,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i change my starter and im having the same problem it won't start what could the problem be
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.
Here is what we have to find out. There are two terminals on the starter. A larger one and a smaller one. I need to know if you have 12 volts on the smaller terminal, when the car does not start and you turn the key to start. If you can tell me that info, We can work through the system and find out why the starter is not engaging.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could the starter relay be the problem
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.
If we have no power on that small terminal at the starter, it could be, but we need to confirm no power, then we can do some tests at the relay to determine if it is getting all the proper signals to engage the starter.