GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2002 chevy trailblazer: gauges..speedo... Dash lights work

Customer Question

2002 Chev Trailblazer---No "idiot lights" and the gauges don't work, speedo, tach etc. Dash lights work along with everything else electrical.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hi, I'm Cam I will answer your question quickly but we may need to discuss this further. Please reply to continue the discussion.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the engine start and run?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does it start and run/

Customer:

Meant to say----No other lights etc are NOT operating along with all gauges.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, so it does not start then?

Customer:

YES it starts and runs fine.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK. do the back lights for the cluster, the illumination feeds work?

Customer:

Yes. All gauges are lighting up as normal just not working, Trans indicator for gear selection is also not working. All dash gauges and warning lights inop.

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok, do you have a test light to do some testing at the cluster?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I suspect a failed cluster but we need to test to be sure.

Customer:

Yes, however I do not have the Dash panel dissassembled.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, this the trailblazer with the inline 6?

Customer:

No---V6 4.2 Litre LS model

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the VIN, the 4.2 is not a V6, the 4.3L is.

Customer:

Sorry, my mistake, it is a straight 6---4.2 liter---Vortec 4200 Motor

GM Tech (Cam) :

Peerfect, give me a few.

GM Tech (Cam) :
  • Remove the 2 screws that retain the insulator panel to the instrument panel (IP).

• Release the insulator panel retaining clip from the IP substrate.

• Lower the insulator panel.
  • GM Tech (Cam) :
  • Remove the 2 data link connector (DLC) retaining screws.

• Remove the DLC from the insulator panel.

• Remove the courtesy lamp from the insulator panel.Remove the splice pack from the insulator panel.

• Remove the hazard and turn signal flasher from the insulator panel. Remove the insulator panel from the IP.
  • GM Tech (Cam) :
  • Remove the 4 trim panel retaining screws.

• Release the clips that retain the trim panel to the IP.

• Remove the trim panel from the IP.
  • GM Tech (Cam) :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]108.10810810810811[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

• Remove the screws retaining the bezel to the instrument panel.

• Remove the bezel from the instrument panel.

• If equipped, remove the transfer case shift control switch.
  • GM Tech (Cam) :
  • Remove the screws retaining the IPC to the I/P.

• Partially remove the IPC from the I/P in order to gain access to the electrical connector.

• Disconnect the electrical connector from the IPC.

• Remove the IPC from the I/P.
  • Customer:

Please define "insulatlor panel"

GM Tech (Cam) :

The plastic under the dash where your toes would hit if you lift your feet.

Customer:

Ok I will try this. it is raining here in NJ and the vehicle is outside, might not be today.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, so you know, You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer:

Thanks

GM Tech (Cam) :

No problem.

Customer:

I have to apoligize. I had forgotten that I had contacted you....by the way you were CORRECT in your diagnosis. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thanks and have a great day!!