Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

I have an 2007 Chevy HHR, while driving my check engine light

Customer Question

I have an 2007 Chevy HHR, while driving my check engine light came on. When I got home I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes to cure the light issue. Once I connected the battery I went to turn the car on and it won't turn over, plenty of juice in the battery too. Haven't had any issues with it until that check engine light came on. Not sure what happened, any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

Try this first...

Generally disconnecting the battery will not clear fault codes on a modern vehicle. We may have another issue but try a theft learn first and we'll go from there.

1. With a new, unlearned, vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The engine controller learns the fuel continue password XXXXX the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. Start the vehicle. The ECM has learned the fuel continue password.
  6. If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is an unlearned key?
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
It's possible your vehicle may have lost it's theft system memory during the disconnect. Just use the ignition key you have and attempt the procedure above. I'm not sure if this is the issue obviously but it is a logical first step. Is the security light on when you turn the ignition on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure, I will go check...give me a minute
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
no prob :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bill, not sure what happened..when i went outside to check for security light being on, I turned the ignition and it started, I moved my car out of the way and parked it..turned it off and turned it back on without an issue. Not sure what happened that was not allowing it to turn.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
I'm not either at this point... possible a logic lock up which can happen. That's was the reason for the theft relearn. I can check your warranty coverage if you wish.. would just need the last eight digits of the vin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have 80k miles on it..im out of warranty
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
You still have powertrain to 100,000 miles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to pass on that at this moment, i do appreciate your time. I guess if it happens again I will just take it in to the dealer.

Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

ok... Thanks and have a great night :)

Bill