Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

2002 Impala with 3.8L engine, Where is the fuel regulator

2002 Impala with 3.8L engine,

Where is the fuel regulator located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

It is on top of the fuel rail under the engine cover and is readily accessable.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.

1. Relieve the fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
  2. Clean any dirt from the fuel pressure regulator retaining ring.
  3. Remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.

4. Remove the snap ring (7).
  5. Using a shop towel to catch any spilled fuel; lift and twist the fuel pressure regulator in order to remove the fuel pressure regulator (6) from the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  6. Remove the small regulator O-ring (2).
  7. Remove the regulator O-rings (4,5).
  8. Cover the fuel pressure regulator housing (1) to prevent contamination from entering the fuel system.

Installation Procedure

Notice:

Do not use compressed air in order to test or clean a fuel pressure regulator as damage to the fuel pressure regulator may result.
Clean the fuel pressure regulator filter screen with gasoline if necessary.
Do not immerse the fuel pressure regulator in a solvent bath in order to prevent damage to the fuel pressure regulator.

1. Install the new O-rings on the fuel pressure regulator (6), if a new fuel pressure regulator is not being installed. Lubricate the O-rings lightly with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the regulator O-rings (4,5).
  3. Install the small regulator O-ring (2).
  4. Install the fuel pressure regulator (6) in the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  5. Install the snap ring (7).

6. Install the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.
  7. Tighten the fuel fill cap.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  9. Inspect for leaks.
    9.1. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.
    9.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    9.3. Turn ON the ignition.
    9.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
  10. Install the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.8L.

.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Edited by Bill on 9/23/2010 at 7:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So your telling me the Regulator is located under the hood and not down at the Gas tank on this 2002 Impala with the 3.8L
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Yes, The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail and is retained by a clip. There will be fuel pressure behind it so the fuel pressure must be bled off prior to removing it or fuel may spray and could get in your eyes.

Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Certified Master Technician