Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

The brake pressure modulator valve needed to be replaced on

The brake pressure modulator valve needed to be replaced on my company's vehicle - a 2008 chevrolet uplander. Is this component the reason the "Service Stability System" and "Service Traction Control" lights illuminated? Also, I experienced wheel lock-up; can this loss of traction cause my company's vehicle to accelerate down an incline? What is one to do if this suddenly happens while driving?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The brake pressure modulator valve is the heart of the abs and traction control systems. A fault in this part would cause the abs and traction control lights to come on as well as the service stability system. If this valve fails, the wheels could possibly lock up. If you were to experience the wheels locking up, you should pump the brakes to regain control over the vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a bunch, Dave. Could this wheel lock-up cause one to accelerate down an incline on a major roadway because of the tires sliding?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
If the roadway were slick and the wheels were locked up, you could slide down an incline.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Did you need help with anything else?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, as I researched the laws of physics regarding friction, acceleration, and inclined planes, I learned that a sliding object, in this case my company's vehicle, can accelerate down an inclined plane, in this case a large hill, or slope, on a major roadway, if the wheels of my company vehicle lock up, in this case slide, even if the road conditions were dry.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
This is all very true. That is the purpose of the antilock braking system is to keep the brakes from locking up, thus making the vehicle more safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dave, thank you for your wonderful input. However, I've received similar responses from a myriad of automotive professionals and physics experts. I guess I was seeking more in depth information. Being that I had been conscious of the answers prior to initiating dialogue with you, should I still pay the $15? I know the payment is optional. Can I pay a smaller fee? I just feel bad paying nothing at all.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

You can make sure I receive credit by clicking the accept button. If you need assistance with adjustment of the payment amount, click on the help link at the bottom of the page to contact the site administrators. Unfortunately, I have no direct control over the monies on my end. Thank you for the follow up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You know what, Dave, I'm just gonna accept the answer, and be assured that you'll receive the entire credit amount. I appreciate your help.

God bless you.

Regards,

Nicole M. Armond

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification