Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

2004 Tahoe Where is the evap canister solenoid valve located

2004 Tahoe: Where is the evap canister solenoid valve located? Any special tools or knowledge necessary to replace? Does anything need to be reset after replacing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

The EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid is located under hood, top, front of the engine. No special tools are required, and the procedure is as follows:

1. Remove the engine sight shield.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
  2. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) line from the canister purge solenoid, perform the following:
  • Push the large size white retainer portion in.
  • Push down, while pulling up slightly in order the disengage the tube.

Register Here

1. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge solenoid electrical connector(1)
  2. Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid bolt (2).

3. Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid (3) and insu

Register Here
    lator (1).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the connector (1) is attached to the soleniod, I don't get why we move over to a bolt (2) that is not associated with the soleniod. And (3) doesn't seem to have anything to do with the solenoid.

I apologize if I am being dense.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

The "connector" is an electrical connector. It must be unplugged before you can remove the sensor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that. Please reference the diagram you sent? It does not seem that #s (2) and (3) have anything to do with the solenoid.

Isn't the soleniod the 3 or 4 inch high black thing under the connector?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ahhh.. ok... i see what you're saying. The (2) and (3) are related to the 3rd image.The (2) and (3) on the 2nd image are wire harness hold-down clip, and Alternator electrical connector, repsectively (just shown for "location" purposes). I see now the confusion. Sorry about that. I should have edited out the (2) and (3) from the 2nd image.

This is how it should be:

Register Here

• Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid bolt (2).

• Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid (3) and insulator (1).
  •  

Hope that makes it clearer! Sorry!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    ok, thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case. But once I tried to change $10 fuel filter on an Explorer, screwed-up the metal fuel lines and ended up spending $1200. So I just wanted to be sure.
    Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ahhh. I didn't even realize what I had done there. My fault. Hope I cleared it up enough.

As for the Ford fuel filter- you should have came here first, and I could have shown you the special tool needed to remove the filter, how to use it, and where to get it for cheap money!!

Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
    Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics