Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

I have a 2006 Equinox AWD. It has been making a whiring noise

I have a 2006 Equinox AWD. It has been making a whiring noise for some time and now starting making a knocking noise especially when driving over rough roads. Shocks and struts have been replaced recently. The knocking seemed like it was coming from the front end and yet I was not able to see anything loose in the front suspension, front drivetrain, or driveshaft. I thought I'd check the rear suspension and noticed that the rear axle shafts both have some up and down play where they enter the differential carrier housing. It seems like more play than it should be and it isn't loose at the inner or outer CV joint. I am suspecting the carrier bearing in the differential. Does that sound correct and how much of a job is it to replace those?
when you hear it over rough road surfaces is it more noisy like 5 to 10 miles per hour?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok that is a very common problem for these suv' correct that replace BOTH right and left lower control arm bushings.they had issues with them making horrible noises

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lower control arm bushings wouldn't account for the whiring noise that gets higher pitched as you increase speed. It also makes no noises when bouncing the car up and down at stand still. It only seems to make the clunking noise when moving. Do you still think the lower control arm bushings are the culprit?
yes those will make noise driving and hitting as for the noise jack up the front wheels and with one hand at the 12 oclock possition and your other hand at the 6 oclock possition can you feel any play at all in the front hub/bearing assemblys?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried this and there is no play.
ok we need to pinpoint what area its coming from.will it make the noise in park if you rev it up?or the truck has to be moving to hear it?does it sound like its more towards the front?or the rear of the truck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No sound when revving. When moving - pitch changes as speed changes. Sounds like it comes from the front.
have you checked all the fluid levels?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The tranny is OK. I need to get come Versatrak Fluid before I check the transfer case and differential. Or is there a acceptable substittue for Versatrak Fluid?

On the bushing - The TSB calls for part # XXXXX

Part # XXXXX comes up as a replacement part for 25823014

Part # XXXXX is the part number in the dealer's catalog

Prices range from $131 to $49. Which one is the right part?

no use the Versatrak
the dealer will look up the part and they will give you the updated one.that part number seems to have been crossed over a few times.the good thing is at the dealer they will only sell you the correct bushing.if you buy at dealer they do NOT have the old ones that made noise they only sell the new ones.GM only has one part number for that bushing.after market part numbers can be off because they use different part numbers
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's odd - I have been to two dealers and they tried to sell me two different part numbers. I gave them the number off of the TSB, and they said that TSB numbers don't show up in their catalog. They did put the TSB number in and it crossed to a different number which they did have in stock, but he said that part did not look like it fit an Equinox.

The one dealer wanted to sell me the one in their catalog. My fear is that the one in the catalog is the old one that made noise. I think I should trust the TSB even though that is the more expensive part.

By the way, I can't find any aftermarket parts. It looks like GM parts are it. All of the numbers I listed earlier are GM part numbers.

ok.yes i would trust the tsb also.its surprising because when they look up any part that has been changed for an upgrade like your bushings they have a note in there computer that notes a part number change and why it was changed..bulletin..ect..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK - changed rear bushings and the knocking noise over bumps is gone. Fluid levels in the front transaxle and rear differential are OK. I changed the fluid in the front transaxle. In addition to the whiring sound that gets higher in pitch with increase in speed there is also a whining sound when you let off of accelerator and allow the transmission to slow the car down instead of braking. I realize this happens in all cars, but it seeems louder in this vehicle.

I plan on accepting your answer but wanted to see if you could help further with drivetrain issues and wasn't sure we could continue talking if I accept answer now.

well as for the noise thats a tough one.i would almost recommending running it up in the air and seeing if you can duplicate it.then with a stethoscope try to pin point where its coming transmission area or rearward