JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

2002 chevy tahoe: abs light..brake light..brake pads..all four wheels

my 2002 chevy tahoe abs light and brake light are on i already change the brake pads for all four wheels including emergency brakes.lights are off but they turn on after a small drive.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 3 years ago.
can you look in the glove box on the build sticker andd see if it says JL4 on the sticker
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO IT DOES NOT SAY JL4 ON THE STICKER
ok
Test 6-11

Circuit Description
The ABS relay supplies battery voltage to six valve solenoids. The EBCM microprocessor applies the grounds needed to activate each solenoid. The low side of each solenoid coil has a feedback circuit to the EBCM microprocessor. When a solenoid is commanded OFF, the feedback voltage is high. When a solenoid is commanded ON, the feedback voltage is low.

Conditions for Running the DTC
  • The ignition is ON.
  • The vehicle speed is greater than 6 km/h (4 mph).

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The EBCM detects an internal malfunction.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
C0265
If equipped, the following actions occur:

• The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS.
  • The ABS indicator turns ON.
  • The brake warning indicator turns ON.

C0266

• The EBCM disables the ABS.
  • The ABS indicator turns ON.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.

Diagnostic Aids

Important: Whenever the EBCM is replaced for DTC C0265 or C0266, the ABS pump motor and motor circuitry must be tested for the proper resistance. Refer to steps 7 and 8 in the diagnostic table below for testing procedures and resistance values.

C0265
Thoroughly inspect connections and circuitry that may cause an intermittent malfunction.

C0266
Replace the EBCM if DTC C0266 continues to set intermittently.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step tests if the battery positive voltage circuit can supply adequate power to the system relay.
  1. A shorted ABS pump motor or shorted motor circuitry may damage the contacts within the system relay. Follow this step to prevent damage to a replacement EBCM.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHERE IS THE EBCM RELAY LOCATED?
actually i almost forgot here is a service bulletin on this

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 04-05-25-002E

Date: March 11, 2009

Subject:
ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground)

Register Here

Models

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add step 2 to the procedure and update the Parts and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-05-25-002D (Section 05 - Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS light is on. Upon further inspection, DTCs C0265 and C0201 may be set in the brake module. It is also possible for DTC U1041 to set in other modules. There may also be a loss of communication with the brake module.

Cause

A poor connection at the EBCM ground is causing unnecessary replacement of brake modules.

Important:
The EBCM ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:
^ Midsize Utilities = Ground 304
^ SSR = Ground 400
^ Fullsize Trucks and Utilities = Ground 110

Correction

Important:
Do not replace the brake module to correct this condition. Perform the following repair before further diagnosis of the EBCM.

Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:

1. Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver's side door. If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.

2. If the original fastener has a welded on nut, remove the nut from the frame, and if required, enlarge the bolt hole to accommodate the new bolt and nut.

3. Clean the area, front and back, using a tool such as a *3M(TM) Scotch-Brite Roloc disc or equivalent.

4. Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.

Important:
It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish.

5. Install a washer and nut to the back side of the frame.

Tighten

Tighten the nut to 9 Nm (79 lb in).

6. Cover the front and back side of the repair area using Rubberized Undercoating.

An additional check can be made to ensure a good connection for the battery cable to frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS as described above.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Register Here

Parts Information

Register Here

Warranty Information

Register Here

Disclaimer

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech