Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

My 2008 Chevy Malibu (47k Miles) displayed Engine power reduced,

Customer Question

My 2008 Chevy Malibu (47k Miles) displayed Engine power reduced, Service ESC, Traction control light indicator and check engine indicator all at the same time this morning. This is the first time I have seen it having owned the car for a year now. What can be the causes/solutions to this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Your computer system has sensed a failure, most likely in the engine management system and it is effecting all the other computer driven systems like your traction control. Right now there is at least one code stored in the computer system and possibly multiples. You will need to have the vehicle scanned for the code(s) and that will point toward the failed part. The large auto parts places will scan for free and may be able to pull some of the codes, but they typically cannot access the ABS/Traction system. Since the check engine light came on they should be able to get something though. Otherwise the dealer or a well equipped independent shop will be able to scan it fully and get to the failure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you know if a problem like this would be covered in the manufacturer's warranty or would it very from case to case?

Also would a dealer charge for the scan?

Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
There is a good possibility that you may have some warranty coverage on it so the dealer may be the best place to start, but they will ask you for an upfront checkout charge in most cases which would be waived if covered, but on you if not covered. I would expect them to ask for between 1/2 and 1 hour labor charge upfront, and then credit that toward the repair or charge to warranty if applicable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using JA!