GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

My 2005 Corvette had a completely dead battery, would not slow

Customer Question

My 2005 Corvette had a completely dead battery, would not slow charge or jump start. I put a new battery in and now the car turns over but will not start. It is getting fuel (I can smell it, I flooded it I'm sure) It sounds like it does not have spark. What can it be? It was running great 5 days before the battery problem
I tried the battery terminals together to reset the computer, that did not work. The gauges on the dash finally started movving while I was trying to get the car started. Up until then they gauges would not move although everything was lit up The DIC now reads "reduced engine power" but will not start still.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

The way to clear the flood is the same in these as it is in the old vehicles. Hold the fuel pedal to the floor while cranking and only release it when it fires and starts to rev up.

If that does not work, try a reset. Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not work. It is still doing the same thing. Will turn over but not start. Could something have caused the battery to drain and now is causing this too? The battery was 29 mos. old and completely dead after sitting 5 days. When I hooked up the slow charger the lights, dash etc. all flickered weird and then just clicking. Tried jump starting with the charging unit and same thing, flickering and clicks. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still not working but the gauges finally moved as normal while attempting to start. The DIC now reads "reduced engine power" but not running

Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no but I can bring one home tomorrow night. I just went and tried again, and the gauges are back to not responding but all lights come on

Ok, codes would help alot.

Reply back tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just read the codes on my car, it has 2, one is P1516, throttle actuator control module and P2102 something about the same thing. Hope this helps

Thanks

#PIP3089B: SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor - (Oct 31, 2006)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Subject:SES Light and Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135

Models:2004-2006 Buick Rainer
2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer
2003-2006 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon
2003-2006 Hummer H2
2005-2006 Pontiac GTO
Equipped with a 4.8 5.3 6.0 or 7.0 V-8 Engine

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

1. Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated.
  2. Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
  3. On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.

If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#06-06-04-007: Diagnostic Information for LS2, LS4 and LH6 Engines for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0606, P0689, P1516, P1682 and/or P2176 that may have Set Due to Low Battery Voltage Condition - (Feb 2, 2006)

Register Here
Subject:Diagnostic Information for LS2, LS4 and LH6 Engines for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0606, P0689, P1516, P1682 and/or P2176 That May Have Set Due to Low Battery Voltage Condition

Models:2005-2006 Buick Rainier
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
2005-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, SSR, Trailblazer SS
2005-2006 GMC Envoy Denali, Envoy XL Denali
2005-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, GTO
2005-2006 Saab 9-7X
with 5.3L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs C, M, H, U -- RPOs LS4, LH6, LS2)

This bulletin is being published to aid technicians in the diagnosis of the following DTCs:

P0606 -- Control Module Internal Performance
P0689 -- Engine Controls Ignition Relay Feedback Circuit Low Voltage
P1516 -- Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Actuator Position Performance
P1682 -- Ignition 1 Switch Circuit 2
P2176 -- Minimum Throttle Position Not Learned

The above DTCs may have set under a low battery voltage condition during or prior to vehicle cranking, then starting. If these codes are present, and a low battery condition exists or the customer indicates that the vehicle has experienced a low battery voltage condition, the technician should do the following:

1. With a Tech 2®, observe the engine RPM and the control module voltage in freeze frame and failure records for the DTC(s) set. If the engine RPM is zero or lower than idle speed and the control module voltage indicates less than 9 volts, this may indicate a low battery condition had occurred to cause these codes to set. The low battery condition should be diagnosed and corrected. Refer to SI for Battery Inspection/Test and/or Charging System Test.
  2. If the battery voltage is within the normal operating range, refer to the DTC(s) set in SI for further diagnosis.
  3. After the low voltage concern has been identified and addressed, clear the codes. Do not replace the ECM for this concern or replace and ECM with any of the following part numbers:
    12597883
    12596679
    12597191
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did have a battery problem right before this happened. The battery was dead and replaced. I used the OBDII to clear the codes but the car still will not start, only crank. Any other suggestions?

Then I suspect the wiring issue in the first bulletin I posted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is not closed and I have not paid. My car still will not start. There is nothing in the wiring that is causing this problem. I am suspecting that a relay or something needs replaced. I am working on that now.

ok