goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

I have a 2007 Chevy express 2500 cargo van with a 4.8 v6.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chevy express 2500 cargo van with a 4.8 v6. The problem I am having is right after I fuel up at a gas station the van starts HARD, but once i get it started it will start fine until I need to fuel up again. The check engine light is on, and I had it checked out and they told me it had to do with the EVAP system. The system has no leaks so they told me the problem is I had a bad gas cap. I replaced the gas cap and the light remained off for 1 day and now it is back on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome. do you what code number was pulled from the system is? maybe a code P0496?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, it was P0455

Ok, code P0455 is for a large evap leak. this requires a high end scan tool and a smoke machine to properly diag. but, with the problem being hard to start after filling up the fuel tank, more than likely the purge valve is stuck open. this will cause the code p0455 to set.

If there is anything you don't understand, or you have more questions, Please feel free to ask me

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sorry, the code P0496 also showed up when they put the scan tool on it. Does that change your answer at all?

no not at all, this code just confirms my thoughts. code P0496 is for a bad purge valve. replacing the purge valve should take care of your issues. purge valve is real simple to replace.

the purge valve is bolted to the top front of intake manifold.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

• Disconnect the EVAP purge solenoid electrical connector.
  • Remove the EVAP purge solenoid mount bolt (2).
  • Remove the EVAP purge solenoid (3) and the insulator (1) from the engine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Thank you so much for your time and fast responses! i will replace the purge valve and see if that fixes my problem. If I have any other question I will let you know. Thanks again.

You are very welcome!!!!

Let me know if you have more questions!!!

Have a great day!!!