Shannon Martin
Shannon Martin, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years as a line technician both asian and domestic.
48411850

2001 GMC JIMMY Recently replaced the fuel pump on the Jimmy

Customer Question

2001 GMC JIMMY
Recently replaced the fuel pump on the Jimmy due to a bad fuel level sensor. I'm now getting a Code P440. Can only assume I must have not reconnected something properly. Need some guidance on how/what to trouble shoot. I installed an Airtex after market pump...I'm since heard there have been problems with that manufacture.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Shannon Martin replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Shannon Martin :

I CAN LOOK UP P440 AN HELP

Experience: over 20 years as a line technician both asian and domestic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Read the question
LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT A VENT HOSE OFF OR LEAKING AT THE TANK. CHECK OUT THIS ARTICAL http://www.gmforum.com/showthread.php?t=201765
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say vent hose, what are you referring to...there are three connections at the pump...is one of those the vent hose, and if so, which one is it?

ITS NORMALY HARD PLASTIC HOSE THAT IS NOT AT THE FUEL PUMP COVER ILL LOOK IT UP TO BE SURE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you referring to one of the three connections to the fuel pump?, If so, which one is the vent hose?

the three hoses are fuel pressure fuel return and vent. if the hose connection are good. the pressure sensor is that black round device with the two wire connector make sure it was not damage or left un pluged.if you have a scan tool you can see fuel tank pressure .the hose you want to test is the one that routs to the evap canister

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, let me try this differently. The way you are describing things, I don't think we are on the same page maybe you should send me a diagram.

1. On a 2001 Jimmy fuel pump there are three connectors for three black hoses....of these three hoses, are any of them, if not corrected properly capable of causing the P440 code, and if so, which ones.

2. You referred to a pressure sensor...where is the pressure sensor? There are two wire harnesses which connect to the fuel pump, neither of which is a black round device, one is oval and one is square these are electrical connactions not devices...are you talking about these connections? and if so which one?

3. When you say the hose you want to test is the one which routs to the evaporation canister...what hose is that and how do I know it when I see it.

i sorry the canister is near the fuel tank its black rectangular box i could not find a good diagram so i will opt out so you can ask an other tech. sorry again i was not help full.

Edited by Shannon Martin on 9/11/2010 at 6:13 PM EST
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi..this may help you..please print

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

P0440

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Schematic

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The evaporative system includes the following components:

• The fuel tank
  • The EVAP vent solenoid
  • The fuel tank pressure sensor
  • The fuel pipes and hoses The vapor lines
  • The fuel cap
  • The evaporative emission canister
  • The purge lines
  • The EVAP purge solenoid

The evaporative leak detection diagnostic strategy is based on applying a vacuum to the EVAP system and monitoring the vacuum decay rate. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) monitors the vacuum level via the fuel tank pressure sensor input. At an appropriate time, the EVAP purge solenoid and the EVAP vent solenoid turn ON, allowing the engine vacuum to draw a small vacuum on the entire evaporative emission system. If a sufficient vacuum level cannot be achieved, a large leak or an EVAP system malfunction is indicated. The following conditions can cause this problem:

• A disconnected or malfunctioning fuel tank pressure sensor
  • A missing, malfunctioning, improperly installed, or loose fuel cap
  • A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line
  • A disconnected or damaged EVAP vent hose
  • A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked fuel tank vapor line
  • A disconnected or malfunctioning EVAP purge solenoid
  • A disconnected or malfunctioning EVAP vent solenoid
  • An open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP vent or purge solenoid
  • A damaged EVAP canister
  • A leaking fuel sender assembly O-ring
  • A leaking fuel tank or fuel filler neck

Any of the above conditions can set a DTC P0440.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• No active MAP sensor DTCs
  • No active TP sensor DTCs
  • No active VS sensor DTCs
  • No active O2 sensor DTCs
  • No active ECT sensor DTCs
  • No active IAT sensor DTCs
  • DTC P0125 not active
  • The system voltage is between 10-17 volts
  • The fuel level is between 12.5-87 percent .
  • The ECT is between 4°C-30°C (39°F-86°F)
  • The IAT is between 4°C-30°C (39°F-86°F)
  • The cold start temperature difference (ECT minus IAT) is less than 1.5°C when the IAT is more than the ECT or 8°C when the ECT is more than the IAT
  • The BARO is more than 73 kPa

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The EVAP system is unable to generate a vacuum more than a calibrated value over a specified period of time.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• This is a type A DTC that behaves like a B type, in which the VCM illuminates the MIL after the second key cycle.
  • The VCM stores the conditions that were present when the DTC sets as a Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL OR DTC

• The control module turns OFF the MIL afterXXXXXtrips when the test has run and passed.
  • A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles. A warm-up cycle occurs when the coolant temperature has risen 22°C (40°F) from the startup coolant temperature and the engine coolant reaches a temperature that is more than 70°C (158°F) during the same ignition cycle.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

IMPORTANT: An accurate indication of fuel level is required for the VCM to properly pass or fail this DTC. Always diagnose fuel level sensor DTCs before performing this DTCs diagnostic table. Always check for fuel level sensor DTCs stored in history.

Check for the following conditions:

• A loose, missing, damaged, incorrect or improperly installed fuel cap
  • Missing or damaged O-rings at EVAP canister fuel vapor and purge line fittings
  • A cracked or punctured EVAP canister
  • A damaged or disconnected EVAP purge line, vent hose or fuel tank vapor line
  • Incorrectly routed or damaged EVAP system purge and vapor lines
  • A poor connection at the VCM. Inspect the harness connectors for the following conditions:
  • Backed out terminals
  • Improper mating
  • Broken locks
  • Improperly formed or damaged terminals
  • poor terminal to wire connection
  • A damaged harness - Inspect the wiring harness to the EVAP vent solenoid, EVAP purge solenoid and the fuel tank pressure sensor for an intermittent, open or short circuit.
  • A kinked, pinched or plugged EVAP purge or fuel tank vapor line - Verify that the lines are not restricted.

Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Cleaning before starting repairs. Reviewing the Failure Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs. This may assist in diagnosing the condition.

Register Here
Diagnostic Chart (Part 1 Of 4)

Register Here
Diagnostic Chart (Part 2 Of 4)

Register Here
Diagnostic Chart (Part 3 Of 4)

Register Here
Diagnostic Chart (Part 4 Of 4)

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. Inspect the service port. Make sure that the valve core is not damaged. If the service port is suspect of leakage use the following procedure: Disconnect the purge line from the EVAP purge solenoid valve. Connect a hand vacuum pump to the service port by placing the hose/adaptor over the unthreaded end portion of the service port. Apply vacuum to 5 inches Hg. If the vacuum does not hold replace the entire purge line which contains the service port.
  2. If the vehicle passes the Service Bay Test then an intermittent leak or restriction had occurred. Check the fuel tank cap for a possible loose or OFF condition that may have caused this DTC to set. If the Service Bay Test can not be run, proceed to step 5. If a fault is not currently present the diagnostic table steps will return you to step 3.
  1. Refer to the information supplied with the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic cart on proper setup and adjustment procedures.
  2. With pressure applied it may be necessary to disconnect the EVAP lines at the components to verify that a line or component is not restricted. A restriction would prevent a vacuum (or the step 9 test pressure) from forming in the fuel tank.
  1. An EVAP pressure sensor that does not correctly respond to vacuum (or pressure) will cause this DTC to set. The EVAP pressure sensor monitors a range from 7.5 inches H2O of pressure to -17.5 inch H2O of pressure (vacuum).

Service and Repair

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Register Here

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the left rear shield.
  3. Remove the canister retainer (1).

Register Here

1. Disconnect the vent hose (2) from the canister (1).
  2. Disconnect the fuel tank pipe and the purge pipe from the canister.
  3. Remove the EVAP canister.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Register Here

1. Install the EVAP canister.
  2. Connect the fuel tank pipe and the purge pipe to the canister.
  3. Connect the vent hose (2) to the canister (1).

Register Here

1. Install the canister retainer (1).
  2. install the left rear shield.
  3. Lower the vehicle.

Locations View

Register Here