Dino
Dino, auto tech
Experience:  have lot's of general automotive experience.
10834442

2002 GMC: replace a bad block heater..I need (tool) to replace it.

i need to replace a bad block heater for a 2002 GMC duramax. How hard is it to replace? What do I need (tool) to replace it. Do I need to drain the oil and the coolant to replace it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dino replied 4 years ago.

Hello welcome to the site

i will be able to assist you on this .

the coolant will need to be drained from the block as well as the radiator.

the heater is held in place with 1 bolt

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it make a difference that my truck is a 2500 instead of the 3500? are all block heaters coolant based or can they be oil pan?

Expert:  Dino replied 4 years ago.

yes the 3500 and 2500 are different.

here is the info for the 2500.

these are coolant heaters. thats the way almost all block heaters are designed

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the info seems clear, the only thing i am wooried about is removing the engine mount. can you still remove the plug without taking off the engine mount.

Expert:  Dino replied 4 years ago.

this is something you have to look at. a lot of times the directions are over kill.

once you get a clearer view of the block heater you will see if this will come out with out removing the mount.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when draing the coolant system is there a seperate drain plug like the for the oil pan

Expert:  Dino replied 4 years ago.

if you see the image showing the block heater their is a bolt going into the block .

im not 100% if this is a block drain plug or not.

if not then you will have to remove the heater very slowly so it drains into a drain pan.

most of these blocks will not have a drain bolt.

this is the fun part of this job.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so the bolt is the only thing holding the plug in place? The plug doesn't unscrew as well

Expert:  Dino replied 4 years ago.

yes and the directions are telling you to twist and pull the heater out.

once you throughly read the directions it will be very clear

Dino, auto tech
Experience: have lot's of general automotive experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all right I will give it a go. Thanks for your time