Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

85 Corvette: manual started popping..accelerator

My '85 Corvette has the 4+3 manual transmission. A while back the car started "popping out" of second gear whenever you would back off on the accelerator. Then recently, I backed the car out of a parking spot and found that there was no longer a first or second gear. Only third and fourth work. What's the problem and how extensive/expensive is the fix?

Also, my power windows go down and up very slowly. What's the deal there?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
Originally you had wear to the 1/2 shift sleeve and it would not properly lock on 2nd gear. Most likely that wear has worsened and now the sleeve is no longer moving properly or has allowed the shift fork to actually fall loose. It will require a rebuild of the transmission to correct I'm afraid, and you may have problems finding someone willing to work on it. I would try and lube the window seals with silicone lubricant and see if they speed up, if that doesn't speed them up you may need new motors.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Why will I have trouble finding someone to repair it?

Any guesstimate as to cost if I find someone?

Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
The 4+3 was a fairly limited production trans so a lot of guys have never worked on one ( haven't). In the end it is still just a manual trans with an auto overdrive bolted on, but a lot of shops are hesitant about getting into one. Worse comes to worse there are places on the Net that can work on them so you will have to send it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How about a guesstimate as to cost?

Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
I would suspect around $2000 to fully overhaul it.