Car Whisperer
Car Whisperer, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 years professional experience,shop lead for 4 years, electrical diagnostic and mech specialist

I have a 1982 Chevy El Camino. I replaced everything in the

I have a 1982 Chevy El Camino. I replaced everything in the brakes. I replaced the master cylinder, booster, and the front pads and rear shoes. I also replaced all the hoses and replaced the lines with new stainless lines. I also replaced the proportioning valve.
When I bled the brakes I didn't get any pressure to the rear wheels. I get fluid to the rear wheel cylinders but it doesn't squirt out like it does on the front calipers.
I bench bled the master cylinder. I just took the proportioning valve out of the box and installed it. Is there anything I should have done to it before installing it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Car Whisperer replied 6 years ago.

Hi! Thanks for using! I'll try to help with your concern. Bleeding the brakes can sometimes be very difficult even if you do things the right way. There are many ways of bleeding brakes (gravity, vacuum, pressure) because of this. You didn't need to do anything to the valve before installing it, you would just bleed the brakes as normal after installing it of course.

My suggestion is to try to crack the lines coming off the master cylinder as an assistant provides solid brake pedal pressure and see if you get any air there. If you do, repeat until you don't have any more air and then retry to bleed the brakes again with the conventional method. Also, if there is any pedal at all, I drive cars around the lot for a while if possible. That seems to help get the air out when the lines are reopened. Try these suggestions and let me know if it helps.. If not we can try some other things. Thanks again!