jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.

My 2006 cobalt has a P0411 code that needs clearing before

My 2006 cobalt has a P0411 code that needs clearing before emissions testing. ow can I troubleshoot this? I need a wiring diagram for the electric air pump, and then???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 3 years ago.

hi , that code is showing that there is not sufficient air flow ,this is usally caused by a faulty solenoid or pump or blown fuse if the air pump is seized,if you do not have access to a good scanner to activate the relays and air pump then you can check these by running a 12 hot and touching the ground to where the connector goes ,I will give you this diagram of the system to show what and where the 12 volts and ground inputs on these components are,you will hear the air pump run and for the solenoid it should click everytime you touch the ground to the connector,more than likely the solenoid is bad but check both components,the code will usually clear itself after 3 ignition cycles or with a code reader or scanner ...guy...graphic

graphic

graphic

I am also including this recall for your car as this may be the cause of your problem and in that case it should be free ....guy...

Owner Letter

Owner Letter

September 2009

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2006 model year Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR; Pontiac Pursuit; or Saturn ION vehicle, equipped with a 2.2L 4-cylinder engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is to make you aware that some 2006 model year Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR; Pontiac Pursuit; and Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with a 2.2L 4-cylinder engine, may have a condition where, in some instances, the vehicle's engine computer could improperly communicate with certain types of electronic test equipment used to service and test your vehicle. If you live in an area that has a vehicle emission inspection requirement (sometimes referred to as "smog check"), it is possible that your vehicle's test results could be affected by this condition.

Important: Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer/retailer as a result of this letter unless you are currently unable to pass a vehicle emission test inspection as a result of your engine's computer improperly communicating to the emission test equipment.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional warranty protection for the reprogramming of the engine computer. If your vehicle does not pass a state/provincial emission inspection because of missing or incomplete data from the engine's computer, and this occurs within 15 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the engine computer will be reprogrammed for you at no charge .

Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you do not live an area that has a vehicle emission inspection requirement, simply place this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

If you live in an area that has a vehicle emission inspection requirement and your 2006 model year Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR; Pontiac Pursuit; or Saturn ION does not pass a state/provincial emission inspection because of missing or incomplete information from your engine's computer, you may want to contact your GM dealer/retailer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you.

Reprogramming qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a GM dealer/retailer. Present this letter to your dealer/retailer as authorization to perform this service.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer/retailer.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson

Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Edited by GUY V.I. on 9/6/2010 at 8:13 PM EST
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When should there be voltage present at the pink/black wire to the solenoid? My reader is just that, it will not activate any relays or solenoid but I have found that the pump does work by closing the contact in the relay in the fuse panel. Sometimes the pump will run for a few seconds when the engine is started cold, then it sounds like there is a build-up of preasure and it cuts off. I have swapped the relay for the air solenoid and the A/C since they are the same relay. The A/C still works, and no change in the AIR system. I checked again tonight and there is a pending code P0411 again.

Thanks,
Chuck

there will be voltage in the pink/blk wire when yo first start it up when the air pump is running,try running 12 volts to the pink/blk wire and then touching a ground source to theblk/white wire ,t should click everytime that you touch the ground to were the connector hooks up to ...guy..