Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have recently replaced my fuel pump on my 1996 chevy S10

Customer Question

I have recently replaced my fuel pump on my 1996 chevy S10 4.3L V-6 Vin W. I have check the the ECM fuse it's good and i'm getting 12 volts from the fuse box and also check the fuel pump relay switch by switching it with horn relay it's good and getting 12 volts from the bottom right hand pin, but I'm not getting any volts to the wire going to the fuel pump module. I have ran a wire from the postive battery post and used the solid black ground wire from the truck to turn the fuel pump on and start the truck. the fuel pump switch/oil pressure sensor is showing 60lbs pressure on the gauge.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If you have voltage on the wire leaving the relay to go to the pump then the problem is the wire between relay and pump. I would just replace the wire to make it easy, otherwise you need to trace down the broken wire. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does the wire leaving the relay go straight to the fuel pump? and also should I have power other than on one pin on the fuel pump relay?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Yes, its a grey wire, here is a diagram. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan if I hit Accept now will i have to pay again if I have a Follow up question later if this does not work?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
You can accept now or later, but either way you can continue to ask questions so let me know if you need anything. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan I have ran a continuty from the gray wire leaving the relay switch and checking it at the fuel pump module and it is making a complete circuit. Im getting 12 volts from the orange wire from the fuse box to the fuel pump relay, but i'm not getting 12 volts out to the gray wire at the relay. I have tried all three relay switchs in the glove box could they all be bad? how does the relay open a path from the orange wire to the gray wire? what would keep it from sending 12 volts to the gray wire? what is the red wire used for on a relay switch could that have anything to do with it?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Out of the wires going to the relay the orange wire should have voltage at all times, the grey wire should have voltage for a few seconds when key is turned on or all the time while vehicle is running. The black/white wire should have ground all the time and the dark green/white wire is provided power by the ecm to activate the relay so power can go from the orange wire to the grey wire. Let me know what you find or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the help Dan I got it going.