GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

my 2000 chevrolet impalas ABS light is on and the service

my 2000 chevrolet impala's ABS light is on and the service traction soon mesaage is on. could this be a wire harness issue?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

Customer : i have recently had a rebuilt transmission put in .i also have had the bearings replaced on the front both sides. i have had new tires put on the car as well.
GM Tech (Cam) :

The wiring from the body to each harness is very common for breaking, especially around the lower ball joint.

Customer : someone else is working on my car and told me to ask an expert. i have a trac off button thay i mannually turn off. But the wheels stil spin feels like it is on the drivers side
GM Tech (Cam) :

If they have a scan tool can they tell which side the issue is or what the code is?

Customer : im not sure if they have that tool. could anything else be causing this problem and where should he start looking?
GM Tech (Cam) :

Start looking at the wiring aroudnthe ball joints. I have seen these break MANY times.

Customer : if i replace that wire harness could that resolve the problem and how labor intensive is it to replace?
GM Tech (Cam) :

The harness end is easy to replace, takes about 20 mins, and is about 40 from GM. IT is only the plug and pigtail with about 18" of special wire.

Customer : ok if i do that and it doesn't resolve the issue is there anywhere else i should look that could be causing the problem?
GM Tech (Cam) :

After that we will need codes from the system, but I have confidense this is the issue.

Customer : so the sytem will need to be scanned and codes cleared is that what you are saying?
GM Tech (Cam) :

If the harness does not work, yes. Clearing them will not be an issue. If after the test drive the ligth is on, then the issue remains. It does a self check that runs every ignition cycle and when you get past a certain speed, usually 5 mph.

Customer : ok i understand now. Thank you!
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.