Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1995 chevy k1500 4x4: manual transmission..The 4WD..engaging..actuator

I have a 1995 chevy k1500 4x4 truck with a 350 ci (5.7 L) manual transmission. The 4WD appeared not to be engaging and I was told it might be the thermal actuator on the front case. I removed it and applied power. It did not extend, so I replaced the wiring and new connections. It now functions properly by extending outward to engage the internals of the front case. I placed it back into the front case. But now, when the 4Lo / 4 Hi shifter is moved into a 4WD position and the truck begins to move (forward or backward) the shifter will not stay in the 4 lo or 4 hi position. Could there be an adjustment issue with the shifter rod, or an internal problem with the tranfer case at the rear of the transmission? Could a problem in the front case transmit though the front shaft to the transfer case and cause this? My son bought this used truck and I am trying to help him get it working properly but I am not familiar with the 4WD components. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

this problem is more then likely in the transfer case isn't the front axle actuator doing this...this may be cause by a worn shift fork inside the case,,sorry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is it possible to get a shift fork or will I have to find an entire transfer case setup? Is it worth rebuilding the transfer case vs finding a decent used one from a salvage yard? What kind of shops would perform a rebuild? There is a place about 50 miles from where I live that I have heard some co-workers mention they rebuild all kinds of drive shafts including special applications if you have the measurements from your project. Should a drive shaft shop be able to rebuild the transfer case?

a transmission shop would be more likely able to rebuild may be cheaper to buy a used one from a salvage yard...transfer case parts are high$$$$