GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1999 Chevy Tahoe: wont start..breather..little gas..the throttle body

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe. It turns over but won't start. If I take the air breather off and put a little gas in the throttle body, put the air breather back on then it will start and continue running. If I don't put the air breather on it will start but won't continue running. Do you know what the problem is?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

This is a fuel system issue. When wat the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just changed the fuel filter a couple of days ago. I couldn't get it started at all before this.

Was the old filter plugged?

I suspect the pump is weak and will not push the fuel past the poppet nozzles in the intake, But when you add fuel, the engine starts and gets engine vacuum to help pull it through. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, I suspect your pump pressure is low due to a bad pump and causing this. Pressure spec is 60-66 psi.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the filter was plugged. Can you send me the procedure on, How to check the fuel pump pressure on the 1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 engine and also the prodeure, How to change the fuel pump. If receive this I will be satisfied with the answer and agree to pay. I hope tis isn't to much to ask?

Its a tall order but I can do it.