GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2005 chevy trailblazer, Lift gate will not latch and stay shut,

Customer Question

2005 chevy trailblazer, Lift gate will not latch and stay shut, I took the modual out
all rusted and shot, need to replace, can I get this part from a parts store? what is the approximate price, also does it need to be programmed by a dealer, I need to do this today.I don't know why everything gets rusted on this truck. I had it out last night
cleaning and greasing it. nope does not latch, about 5 months ago it did the same thing,
I took it out cleaned it, it worked fine till now, I know I need a new one. can I purchase
the part, put it in and done. thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

The GM part number is XXXXX GM cost is 222.00.

Gm part giant -

also try for GM parts at dealer cost.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I work on my own vehicles, do it all myself, most things anyway..

this modual I can only get from a dealer. is this correct? also just install and I am done?

this does not need to be calibrated with the computer, I know these are pretty simple

questions, the minum pay is 23 bucks, for that maybe you can include some diagrams,

to be honest I got the lemon trail blazer constantly fixing stuff, crazy..

appreciate the help Rick

Is this the latch or the liftgate module? If the latch only then it is plug and play.

The parts you can get at many parts stores if you want.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it is the whole latch lock assembly, the liftgate module I have to take it to a dealer,

how long will it take if I put the part in.

Dealer time, 45 mins.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok so after I put the part in, it will not lock,or function ..or just the alarm system and keyless entry will not work, if it stays locked I don't care, I am trading this in soon.

cannot believe you can't just replace in lock these days, can I get away with not having

the dealer program it or what ever it is they do.. anyway to bypass and just have it lock

and open or it just won't work thanks

The latch assembly does not require programing. I would check the fuse for this in the rear fuse block.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

misunderstood.. I did not put it in yet, the part is costing me 167

I should be good to go then, earlier u said the latch was plug and play, not the module,

which is it? now you are saying it does not require programming.. parts guy gave me the part by my vin number.. I think I am all set here, I will get it in and find out thanks

I do not believe this help is worth 23 bucks what is the minimum, I do want to give something, I just had some questions about the name of the part.. not about figuring somethin out.. do you agree?

Ok, there is a module or computer in the lift gate. That part needs programming and is NOT plug and play.

THe latch assembly is not a module and IS plug and play which means it DOES NOT require programming.

Sorry for any confusion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the module or the assembly latch does not need programming, I went to the dealer,

what I did need was the latch assembly, all fixed... sorry I am not going to pay the 23 dollars for your answers. I do not feel they were sufficiant enough, you had me confused the whole time... with this latch assembly or module, I knew what it was,

I asked if I can get it from a parts store.. did not answer that, and how much, did not answer that, seamed like confusion the whole time...

Sir, I posted a source for the parts and a cost in my first reply!!!!

Anyway, I tried to be clear with you. Maybe it is best that you went to a dealer.

HAve a good day.