Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

How do I change the spark plugs on my Chevy Aveo

How do I change the spark plugs on my Chevy Aveo?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

• Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove spark plugs from a hot engine can cause the spark plugs to seize. This can damage the cylinder head threads.
  • Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so can result in engine damage due to dirt or foreign material entering the cylinder head, or in contamination of the cylinder head threads. Contaminated threads may prevent proper seating of the new spark plug.
  • Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the vehicle. Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.

graphic

• Loosen the 4 bolts and remove the engine cover.graphic
  • Remove the spark plug wires from the spark plugs.

• Remove the spark plugs from the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The chasm where the spark plugs are are too narrow for a standard spark plug socket.

Is there a special socket I need to buy @ a GM parts store?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

The spark plug socket should fit right in there. If the plug socket you have doesn't fit, you're using the wrong one. I would suggest taking a plug to the tool store, and get the correct size that fits the plug and will fit in the hole. (There is a set size, just for the life of me, i can't remmeber the exact size, sorry)