Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Brake lights wont work on 97 chevy truck checked fuses ,Bulbs

Brake lights won't work on 97 chevy truck checked fuses ,Bulbs , new pedal switch?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Are all the lights inop, or does the center-mount still work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have all lights Turn , emergency ,tailights, backup just no brake
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Ok... does the center-mount (the one on the cab) still work, or is that out as well?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry didn't understand It does not work
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Ok. If all 3 are out, then most commonly it is in fact, the Brake Light Switch. It's located at the top of the brake pedal arm, under the driver's side dash. Replacing that switch should solve the problem. Always remember to check the fuses as well.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already replaced switch
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Ok- can you check fuse #1 (labeled "STOP/HAZ") in the instrument panel fuse box?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Checked #1 And #18 question to you if the center console worked what would be wrong ? thinking broken wire
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Correct. The next thing to check is going to be the wiring harness going to the switch. Look for any broken or rubbed through wires. Also make sure the crimps on the wires are tight, and the wires have not "pulled out" of the crimps. I can provide you with an electrical schematic of the switch, it's pretty basic. If the wires look good, i think you may be looking at a problem in the VCM (on-board computer)

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question if the brake switch is bad it won't disengage cruise either will it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Correct. If the brake light switch is bad, the cruise will not function properly either. If you are having problems with cruise, and got the new switch from a "cheap" parts store, like say Auto Zone, there's a strong possibility it's either the wrong switch, or a defect.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How did you know If it is switch do you recommed Napa or the dealer
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

No need to go to the Dealer. The guys over at NAPA know their stuff, and have very high quality parts. I never recommend AutoZone for electrical parts.