Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show

V8 Silverado Pick up, seperated at the firewall..heater core

Last night, the heater hose fitting on my 2000 Z71, V8 Silverado Pick up, seperated at the firewall. What actually seperated / broke was a plastic fitting onto which the heater hose is attached. Stupid fool that I am, I would have thought it would have been attached to the heater core pipe directly. How to I repair this issue ? Do I have to get a new plastic connector or whatever it's called and if so, how do I remove the old now broken one ? HELP, HELP, HELP !!! B Porter

Hello and good morning. You are not being foolish in any way. that part that broke off is actually the one tube from the heater core itself. That plastic piece used to be connected to the remainer of that tube. You will need to replace the heater core itself to fix this. Before you get involved, the entire dashboard needs to be removed in order to remove the heater box to get to the heater core. Its a very large in in depth job. Is this something you feel comfortable tackling?

Your JA Expert,