Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

Chevy: AC 2WD AC stuck on defrost..Instrument panel..suburban

chevy 2002 silverado 5.3L w AC 2WD AC stuck on defrost. checked lower blend motor (found out it was temperature blending) it works fine. Instrument panel works (removed and put in my suburban everything fine with it). Down to the "mode actuator". How do I get to it for RR. Can't find it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Mode actuator is located on left side of the HVAC case

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the floor air outlet duct extension (1) from the floor duct (2).

1. Disconnect the electrical connection at the mode actuator (10).

1. Remove the mode actuator mounting screws from the HVAC module.
  2. Remove the mode actuator as an assembly with the actuator cam.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the mode actuator as an assembly with the actuator cam.
    • Line up the heater/defroster lever with the mode actuator cam slot.
    • Line up the A/C lever with the mode actuator cam.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the mode actuator mounting screw to the HVAC module.

Tighten
Tighten the screw to 1.6 N.m (14 lb in) .

1. Connect the electrical connection at the mode actuator (10).

1. Install the floor air outlet duct extension (1) to the floor air duct (2).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got the blend motor and assembly out. What position does the defrost need to be in to install the new motor and/or what install issues do I need to be aware of before reconnecting power. It look to me like the old module turned past its' stopping point. (just my guess but with power no moment of the blend motor or assembly when switching from defrost to anything else.)

Any precaution??

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
The acuator self sets itself. This model does not require programming
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the white tabs the go into the cam...should they be able to turn, they seem to control flaps. the one I tried has very little movement but maybe that is ok. Just wanted to be sure nothing was jammed.

I am in the process of putting it back together. My wife will watch for your reply. Thank you for being prompt.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
lmk thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you are not willing to answer anymore questions then I am done with this service. I have one job to do, One assembly to put back together. I think I have figured it out, Just hard to do. Looking for help from your 32 years of experience. Maybe this is not a job you have had to do directly or maybe you are holding out for "bonus" I don't know only you know that. I appreciate you help If you have any other ideas or help that are included in my $23 payment I would appreciate your ideas and experience. If not, I will navigate it further myself. Thank you.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I am unsure why you are upet I am not here to ignore you nor collect a bonus. I am here to help. I am unsure as to your previous question. If you want to resend and /or reword i will try to help
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry you are upset. this type of communication can sometimes be a little difficult and I simply missed a question? you had. Instead of us working together, I have opted out to let another expert jump in and help. One should be along shortly to help you