Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

2004 Chevy Impala: a garage replace my power steering pump..2.4L..V6

Customer Question

I supposedly had a garage replace my power steering pump on my 2004 Chevy Impala 2.4L V6, and it now appears upon closer checking that they only replaced the pressure hose for this pump and not the pump. How can I verify what work was done. When I asked for the part, they claimed it wasn't available because they got a credit for me of $35.00 for the core--is this correct and proper?
Before I left the lot I noticed and brought to their attention the fact that the reservoir was the same as the one which was in it when I went to them--they stated that not all pumps come with a reservoir---the only noticeable parts replaced are the Serpentine Hose (because of the p/s pump fluids splashing all over), and the pressure hose from top of pump, wrapped in new protective cloth.
Can you enlighten me, please?
Doug
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
HI and thanks for your question! The new or rebuilt pumps on that motor do not come with a new reservoir. I have to take it off and install it on the new pump. They are right on the pump. If you look with a flash light , the body of th pump it should be shinny. They do have a core on the old pump and they must return it or charge you the 35$ core charge. You can ask to see there recite proving that they bought a pump from a part store. You can also stop off at an other shop and ask them to have a look for you. Have a look at the bolt heads that hold the pump to the motor to see if they have any makings on them. A socket will some times leave marks on a bolt head. Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if you need more information! Remember to click "Accepted" or I do not get compensated for helping you today. Thank You Ken
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I stated in my original question, the garage had replaced the upper pressure hose and cloth cover and clamp---is this a normal procedure, or could it be that this is the only thing they did?
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
They most likely replaced the pressure hose because it was leaking and damaged the pump. If the pump runs with out power steering fluid or low fluid, they damage the vanes in the pump quickly. Some of the new hoses come with a heat shield to help reflect the heat away from the rubber hose. With out seeing the motor it would be hard for me to say what they replaced. I have had to replace the hose and pump many of times. Ken