Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

chevy trailblazer LT 2005 Trailblazer throwing codes P0014

Customer Question

2005 Trailblazer throwing codes P0014 & P0017 It stalls out at stoplights and chugs along at start up or dies. also the cruise control isn't working. Autozone reset the computer and the codes, of course, show again on start up. I need help to locate and replace the cam and crank sensors appropriate to the codes.
thanks, J
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome back to!

P0014 sets when the computer is no longer able to properly control the variable cam timing of your vehicle.

P0017 sets when the cam and crank signals are no longer timed properly (and can be related to the P0014).

Failure of the variable timing actuator, or excessive cam, crank, or timing chain play can cause this as well.

Repairing this condition will likely require replacing the timing chain and variable timing actuator which is a job for a professional technician (and many of these won't even touch it as most don't have the special tools required). The vast majority of these end up at a GM/Chevy dealership for repairs.

I wish I had better news for you, but there is simply no easy fix for your problem. If it were simply a failure of the cam or crank sensors, you would have different codes altogether.