Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

What is the sequence to bleed the brakes on a 2003 Chevy Suburban

What is the sequence to bleed the brakes on a 2003 Chevy Suburban ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
With ABS? Have you had the system open? Ken
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it has ABS and the system has been opened.

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual)
  1. Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to prevent brake fluid spills.
  2. With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal effort increases significantly, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
  3. If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, you must perform the following steps:
    3.1. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir is full to the maximum-fill level. If necessary add GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.

If removal of the reservoir cap and diaphragm is necessary, clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the cap prior to removal.

3.2. With the rear brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, loosen and separate the front brake pipe from the front port of the brake master cylinder.
    3.3. Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the master cylinder.
    3.4. Reconnect the brake pipe to the master cylinder port and tighten securely.
    3.5. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
    3.6. Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the master cylinder.
    3.7. Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
    3.8. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the master cylinder.
    3.9. With the front brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, after all air has been purged from the front port of the master cylinder, loosen and separate the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8.
    3.10. After completing the final master cylinder port bleeding procedure, ensure that both of the brake pipe-to-master cylinder fittings are properly tightened.
  4. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level.

Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.

5. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
  6. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
  7. Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
  8. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
  9. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
  10. Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
  11. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
  12. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
  13. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
  14. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, after all air purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
  15. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
  16. With the right front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the right front hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
  17. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
  18. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
  19. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
  20. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
  21. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:
    21.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks.
    21.2. Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.
  22. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.

Important: If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed (With JL4)

Notice: When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only Delco Supreme 11®, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid, may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.

Notice: Avoid spilling brake fluid onto painted surfaces, electrical connections, wiring, or cables. Brake fluid will damage painted surfaces and cause corrosion to electrical components. If any brake fluid comes in contact with painted surfaces, immediately flush the area with water. If any brake fluid comes in contact with electrical connections, wiring, or cables, use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid.

Important: The following procedures may be performed on vehicles equipped with option code JL4, Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES).

Pre-charge Bleed

The Pre-charge bleed procedure is to be performed when air may have been introduced into the precharge pump inlet hose, the precharge pump or the combination valve. Perform the procedure as follows.

Important: If the brake system warning lamp is illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until the concern is diagnosed and repaired. Ensure that the master cylinder reservoir is filled to at least the minimum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT 3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed container.

1. Ensure the master cylinder reservoir cap is ON securely.
  2. Install a scan tool.
  3. Turn ON the ignition.
  4. Select the VSES Special Functions menu on the scan tool.
  5. Select Pre-charge Bleed.
  6. Press the On key. The precharge pump runs for approximately 3 seconds, circulating fluid from the master cylinder fluid reservoir, through the precharge pump and combination valve, then back to the master cylinder.
  7. Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal. If the pedal feels spongy, perform a base brake system bleed.
  8. Ensure that the master cylinder reservoir is filled to at least the minimum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT 3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed container.

Automated Bleed

The Automated Bleed procedure is to be performed when the brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) is replaced. Perform the procedure as follows.

Important: The base brake system must be bled before proceeding.

2. Install a scan tool.
  3. Turn ON the ignition.
  5. Select Pre-charge Bleed.
  7. Select Automated Bleed.
  8. Press the On key. The precharge pump and ABS pump run for approximately 6 seconds while air is purged from the BPMV.
  9. Ensure that the master cylinder reservoir is filled to at least the minimum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT 3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed container.
  10. Perform a base brake system bleed.
  11. Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal. If the pedal feels spongy, repeat steps 1-11. If the pedal feel is acceptable, proceed to the next step.
  12. Ensure that the master cylinder reservoir is filled to at least the minimum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT 3
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed (Without JL4)

Important: This procedure may be performed on all vehicles EXCEPT those equipped with option code JL4, Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES).

Important: The base hydraulic brake system must be bled before performing this automated bleeding procedure. If you have not yet performed the base hydraulic brake system bleeding procedure,

Install a scan tool to the vehicle.

1. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle.
  2. Depress the brake pedal firmly and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
  3. Using the scan tool, begin the automated bleed procedure.
  4. Follow the instructions on the scan tool to complete the automated bleed procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test sequence.
  5. Turn the ignition OFF.
  6. Remove the scan tool from the vehicle.
  7. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11®, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
  8. Bleed the hydraulic brake system.
  9. With the ignition OFF, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal becomes firm, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
  10. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
  11. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the automated bleeding procedure inspect the brake system for external leaks.
  12. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF; check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
  13. If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.
  14. Drive the vehicle to exceed 13 km/h (8 mph) to allow ABS initialization to occur. Observe brake pedal feel.
  15. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure until a firm brake pedal is obtained.