ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

how do i fix the fuel gauge in my 2001 chevy suburban that

Customer Question

how do i fix the fuel gauge in my 2001 chevy suburban that reads empty all the time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
This is usually caused by the sender in the fuel tank, this comes as a fuel pump sending unit assembly. This is a expensive repair so some testing should be done to be sure it is the cause of the problem, the fuel tank needs to be at least partly dropped to do the testing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just changed the fuel pump in the tank it that on that part? The lights in intirior of the truck stopped working about a year and a half ago could that be apart of my issue?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
Yes the sending unit is part of the pump so that is not likely your problem, if you are having interior light issues it is probably related to you fuel gauge issue, it would take quite a lot of testing to find this kind of problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
oh dear! Where is the best place to start? The fuzes are all good and the poor thing didnt pass smog today. i love my girl but she seems to be falling apart lol she even needs a power steering pump
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I guess the reply i made wasnt good enough to answer, We have checked all the fuzes and have replaced the fuel pump. Where else can we start?? i just got funding to help get it to pass smog but have to fix this problem first so the 500$ can go towards getting smogged instead of only to the fuel gauge. Help Help