Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

1993 corvette: defective..passenger seat..compartment..connectors

Customer Question

I have a 1993 corvette coupe, which had a bad (defective CDM) radio controller box located behind the passenger seat in the floor stowage compartment. I replaced the CDM-no problem, other than it is from a 1994 (supposed to be ythe same system as in a 1993...Is this true? Unfortunately a couple of the connectors that go the the CDM had the wiresd pulled from them and cannot tell where they go back to. The connecter in specific that I am refering to is as follows. On the one side there are 4 (four) receptacles for plugs (connectors) to plug into, which had to be replaced due to defective connections. So far I has as follows and consider this side to be complete. To begin with, apparently there are only 3 (three) of the four receptacles that are actually used. Is this correct....Because thats all that is there. The fourth receptacle is vacant. Is that true...am I ok so far? The colors of the connectors for that side that are being used is a white, blue and a black. On the other side there are 2 (TWO) receptacles only for 2 (TWO) connectors. Black ( 99% pretty sure.....not right at the harness right now) and a gray....which is where I am having my major problem. One of these two connectors that, (the gray one ) plugs into this side, three of the six wires were pulled from the gray plug and I have no idea where (pin position left-to-right) where each of the 3 disconnected wires go. I will explain current position of the three connected wires below. The colors of the 6 primaries are as follows; purple, bare wire with plastic tube over it, red with white stripe, purple with white stripe, blue, purple. Holding the connector in front of you with the retaining clip on top is;

Position #1=vacant. Position #2=Disconnected. Position #3=disconnected. Position #4= disconnected. Position #5=red with white stripe. Position #6=vacant. position #7=vacant. Position #8=bare with plastic cover. Position #9=purple.

So in short I have 3 wires that I need to know where on the connector they need to go,

The purple with white stripe, the blue, and the solid purple.

Do they go in one of the "disconnected" slots (positions 2, 3, 4.)

Or do they go in one of the vacant slots (looks like never used) (position #1, 6, 7.)

This connector is beyond repair and I have another to use in its place but it is NOT the correct year because the colors of the wires of the extra (donor) plug are different. I believe it (the donor plug) to be that of a 1994. Both connectors (plugs are identical in respect to position of primaries used and those vacant. The colors of the primaries off the donor plug are as follows;

With securing tab on top, Position #1=Vacant. Position #2=Brown with white stripe. Position #3=green with white stripe. Position #4=black with white stripe. Position #5=red with white stripe. Position #6=vacant. Position #7=vacant. Position #8=bare with clear plastic tube over it. Position #9=Pink.

In addition to needing to know where the three disconnected wires go on the original connector (plug). I also need to get some info on the "speaker relay" (also in that harness) and receptacle it plugs onto. I need to find (where to buy) the "speaker relay", and receptacle, and a couple of inches of wire along with the receptacle. Anxiously awaiting your reply........Jeffrey

My direct email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, PLEASE, PLEASE email me or copy me there......... Please help if you can..........Jeffrey
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

Sorry for any delays....

I can send you a diagram of all the radios wiring, would that help? YOu can use a universal fog light relay and harness in place of the relay...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That would be good if you can send the diagram but I have no background in reading them and unless it tells me specifically where those three wires hook up to, it wont be of any help to me.

I would need the socket connector as well as the relay. Also where to hook up wires to socket
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thats the only way is to go by the diagrams. Otherwise your not fixing it yourself. Ill send all the info I have in a PDF file.

CLICK HERE FOR PDF FILE DOWNLOAD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
What part of all the schematics is incomplete?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please see original question....thats all I have.....I have no schematics nor anything of the kind. The major portion of my question is where 3 certain wires go on the connector those particular wires go to.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Did you look at the schematics I sent you in the link?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I did not. The ANSWER was/is incomplete, I never downloaded the schematics because, like I said before (twice). I do not know how to read them, I am a disabled veteran of 56 with very poor eyesight to boot. I did not download the pdf file because I knew it would not help. WHY you wonder? Because if YOU are unable to locate the three wires on the diagram (scematic) that I tenaciously describe in my initial question, what in gods name makes you feel I would be able to? I tell you the connector, where the connector is plugged into and even provide colors of the primaries involved and how many wires there are, and the orientation of the connector to hold to get the proper pin position for each color wire. So again....If you have the diagrams and have the ability to read them and your schematic has all the color codes. Then having all that info should enable a person with the abilty to read the diagrams to answer me more specifically. Again the answer was incomplete in that I asked (no offense intended) for the answer to a couple of questions. I didn't ask for a new tool for the search. Because I knew up front there would be trouble in me reading them for two reasons, as I had explained earlier
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A message from "just answer" was sent from you saying more info required. I opened email, followed link and opened but there was no text from you.....Jeffrey
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 years ago.

Customer............

Another Expert here..........

Can you tell me if the plug you have the wires pulled from looks like this:

graphic

Is there any other Plug that has the wires pulled out also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
anthony, I requested another expert.....please close....you are interfering with jacustomer. I am very sure you tried your best but the answer in insufficient and doesn't solve anything

Did you see my request??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I did get it but you were cut in on which prevented me from answering.

There are 5 connectors that hook up to the radio CDM. Three on one side, two on the other. It is one of these plugs that I have issue with. I was able to correct all other issues except forthis plug in question AND the issue with the speaker harness relay, of which the plug in question is a part of. The plug you so nicely illustrate cannot be the one because the one in question has 9 (nine) pin position, connector. However, 6 primary pin slots only are used. The colors are listed above in my original question as are the 3 (three) primaries that are pulled loose. I just need to know it what pin position these should go in???????

Not sure if you are getting my questions..........

If the above plug is NOT the same as you have, then this should be your answer, below

Wires are numbered 7 - 15 in GM diagram so be sure you have the plug the correct way

see image below

graphic

see image below

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

EXCELLANT, where did you get the illustration???? Good job....Now the last part of the question was any info on the bose speaker harness relay. I believe the are two groupings of three orange wires that go into the socket that the relay plugs into. Do you have a scematic if this like the other you sent? Where can I get the socket and relay....Have any part #'s for these two items ? Do you know where the two groupings of the three orange wires connect to the relay at?

I do not have a physical Plug description of the Relay
Just a Schematic showing the PIN Numbers

PIN
1 = ORANGE from Fuse
2 = BLACK Ground
4 = ORANGE to Amps
5 = PINK from Radio (on)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No text came through
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no text came through
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ANTHONY, LURCH HAS ALREADY GIVEN ME MOST OF WHAT I HAVE ASKED FOR. IF YOU KEEP INTERFERING WITH THIS FROM NOW ON I WILL REPORT YOU AND I SURMISE THAT YOU WONT BE ASKED TO ANSWER ANOTHER EVER AGAIN.

as posted above:

PIN
1 = ORANGE from Fuse
2 = BLACK Ground
4 = ORANGE to Amps
5 = PINK from Radio (on)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not have any colors but orange going to it, I assume in, and out. I cannot find a picture of the plug either. I only know it is on the same wiring harness (bose gold speaker harness and by coincidence is housed directly next to the CDM in the storage compartment behind passenger seat.

I am getting a lot of interference from "ANTHONY" It is extremely difficult getting a message through...he continnues to send "blank transmissions" to gum up the works....getting and sending incom

sorry.........

I assure you that Anthony is not sending those messages
It is Automatic thru Just Answer

Yes the Bose Relay is next to the CDM & I do not have a picture of the PINs, just the Colors I posted above
You may want to turn the Relay over & carefully inspect for Numbers on the PIN's

graphic

Did you need further, as I have to leave?

Customer...........

While there is no picture of the Bose Relay, I provided you (above) with the wiring for the Relay.
You can use a Meter or Test Light to see if the Relay is functioning & to test Input & Output power on the wires I provided.

I was able to find the Relay Plug, but not sure if this is the same one, as there were 2 types:

graphic

If this has helped, please click ACCEPT.............

Did you need further??

Was the diagrams enough?