John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

battery terminal after installing new starter today..Lights inside

While reconnecting battery terminal after installing new starter today, the battery began to run all by itself after reconnecting terminal! Lights inside all came on. No key in ignition. Engine did not start, but battery 'whirred' as though it was running. Help?
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

john :

I am guessing you mean the starter began to run all by itself.

john :

Go back & check your work you have shorted the wires togather at the starter or you have a faulty starter.

Customer:

Well, it sounded like it was coming from the battery. Too, as soon as the battery terminal reconnected (simultaneously actually), that 'whirring' started.

Customer:

Oh, the work was checked by three people and done according to the instructions given to us on the package. Plus we've all done starters before. How, though, would I have shorted the wires together? By doing something wrong?

john :

Sometimes when the wires are tightened to the starter solenoid ,p[lacement is important so that they do not touch each other.I am glad to hear you have done this before.Just take a look & make sure all is connected correctly.

Customer:

hmmm, so do I just tighten a wire enough so that it sits slightly above the wire beneath it?

Customer:

Each person actually took the starter out and replaced it ...couldn't really see the wire connections without turning the starter around. I'll check again in the morning though.

john :

No , you tighten the terminals on eack of the starter solenoid terminals securely.It sounds like you are taking turns .The starter must be removed & reinsytalled correctly to the solenoid.

john :

Do you know how to read an electrical schematic ?

Customer:

haha, none of us trusted each other to do it right so we triple checked.

Customer:

The solenoid is actually part of the starter, making it easier. SO that makes it even more embarrassing.

john :

Well it sounds like triple check did not do it, LOL.

john :

If I send a schematic to show wiring to the starter ,can you read it ?

Customer:

Have you ever heard of the battery sounding like it's running like that, without the key in or car on?

Customer:

My father can read it.

john :

The only sound I have heard from a battery is when it is connected backwards & is fixing to blow up. Be carefull

Customer:

Also, if I shorted out the wires, how might that have happened?

Customer:

Haha, nah, we didn't take the battery out. Been in there a long time and running fine till we put in the new starter today.

john :

Ok,I am going to get a schematic for the starter & send it.I cannot be there to over see your work but a circuit that has a positive charge ,if grounded ,will short.I will get the schematic & be right back.

Customer:

ok thanks

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yikes, I almost signed out by accident.

Ok ,here is the schematic.

The purple wire goes to the S terminal & the black wire goes to the B terminal on the starter solenoid.

Object Number: 362222  Size: FS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, i downloaded it to my desktop and will send it to my father....

what do you think about when the battery terminals are both connected, even though the car is making that whirring sound, if i try to actually start the car? Stupid?

Look closely at the area in which you here this whirring sound ,it could be an accessory that has a pump ,a lot of the systems do.A battery just should not make a noise.It is a lead filled case of acid with not internal moving parts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Goooood point about the 'no moving parts' and a possible accessory .... what do you think about trying to turn the key over while the battery or whatever is making that noise?

If things are connected properly it should be ok.Keep in mind if this noise keeps on with the key off it will run the battery down.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, so I'll try to start it in the a.m. and then run it for a bit and then shut it off again. If I continue to hear the noise, I'll disconnect the battery cables and bring the car to a shop. Is that right?

Yes,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I won't blow myself up? As if you hadn't guessed by now, I'm a girl, but I promise my brothers were overseeing! But seriously, I won't blow myself up??

NO, the systems are protected by fuses.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

haha, ok. Well, wish me luck. Start fresh in the morning. Thanks for your help.

All the luck in the world. You have a good evening.