GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

95 monte carlo, wont turn over with the key. With the key in

95 monte carlo, wont turn over with the key. With the key in the run position, I short across the starter solenoid, engine turns over, but does not start. did this about 4 to 6 weeks ago on and off. Talked to another person with the same vechical. He had put an after market radio in and is caused the same problem. Sounds crazy I know. But RF signals from flouresent lights can mess with a logic board in vending machines when flashing when burning out, Personal exiperence, messes with the programing. So my son had put in an aftermarket radio with a wireless remote. Thought maybe it was messing with theft deterrent system. We removed the radio and no problems till today. Now it back the not starting. Turn the key to start, nothing happens. did try Neutral and park, can turn the key to run, start the solenoid, started engages, turns motor over, but doesn't start
Submitted: 4 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

So if you turn the key to start, the engine cranks but will not start, and jumping the starter will make it start?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Engine does not crank with the key turned to start. Engine only cranks if you short across the starter soleniod.

engine does not start when carnking, key is in the run position, when cranking by shorting across the soleniod,

O, not starting with the key in run and jumping the starter is likely the theft system. IS the light flashing? This has the black pellet in the key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
has the pellet key, light is not flashing. does theft light does come on when to turn the key on. But this maybe normal, most dash warning lights come on when turn the key so you can see if they are burned but. Sons car isnt here, its at his house.

This is a different style theft system. Do you want to eliminate it? It is likely the cause.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure, from what I have read, has a relay and theft module, if it is the module, (cost) $350.00, It should crank but not start, the theft module disables the injectors. but the relay may do both, not sure,,

anyway, elimating works for me if solves the problem, and doesnt cause any new future ones

The good news is the bypass is 200 or less. Use this link and if this is not the problem, you can return it in 15 days. Using a different link to the site does not have the same policy as I have an agreement with the owner.

http://newrockies.ca/fullbypass

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me if the security light should be steady on when you turn the key to run,,, and should it turn itself off after a certain amount of time,, like a seatbelt light ,,, just on like battery or oil light unless the engine is running..

It should be on, but the module may be bad and that will cause the light not to go on. This bypass module eliminates the need for the theft module in your car.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The light is on,,, is there a way to test the module ?

Not easliy and even if you do, it may cost more than the bypass. IF you order the bypass through the link I posted and that is not the issue, you ahve 15 days from the day you get it to send it back for a refund. So this is risk free diagnosis or atleast elimiante the module, but my money is on the module.

http://newrockies.ca/fullbypass

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.