Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do you remove a 1984 chevy conversion van ignition?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

do you need to replace the lock cylinder or the electrical part of the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am looking to replace the lock cylinder. I was told to remove the steering wheel and I have done that. I am stuck right now and wondering where to go from there. I used a wheel puller and then now I am stuck at a part where there is a plate that has all these metal finger like all the way around it. Almost looks like a gear that you would put a bike chain on it. Some people told me to look for a whole where the ignition switch is at and push it in and then pull out the ignition. Found someting but nothing is happening when I pull it out. I turned it and pushed and tried to pull it out, but nothing is happening. Just wondering what to do next.

ok

do you have the key for this lock?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah the key came with it already when I bought the new part for it. I also have a the key for the ignition switch that is in my vehicle right now.

ok

do you have tilt steering?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I do.

ok....you will need a special tool to push in this gear looking piece to remove the c-clip.lets see if this helps..please print

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

DIRECTIONAL SIGNAL SWITCH

The directional signal switch can be removed with the steering column in the vehicle and without disturbing any of the column mountings.

Removal

1. Remove the steering wheel.
  2. Remove the column to instrument panel trim cover.
  3. Position screwdriver blade into cover slot. Pry up and out to free cover from lock plate.

1. Screw the center post of Lock Plate Compressing Tool J-23653 onto the steering shaft as far as it will Compress the lock plate by turning the center post clockwise. Pry the round wire snap ring out of the shaft groove and discard the ring. Remove Tool J-23653 and lift the end of the shaft. NOTICE: If the column is being disassembled on the bench, with the snap ring removed the shaft could slide out of the lower end of the mast jacket, damaging the shaft assembly.
  2. Slide the directional signal canceling cam upper bearing preload spring and thrust washer off the end of the shaft.
  3. Remove the directional signal lever screw and remove the lever.
  4. Push the hazard warning knob in and unscrew the knob.
  5. Remove the three switch mounting screws.
  6. All Columns - Pull the switch connector out of the bracket on the jacket and feed switch connector through column support bracket and pull switch straight up, guiding the wiring harness through the column housing and protector.

1. Remove wire protector by pulling downward out of column with pliers using tab provided. Tilt Column - Position the directional signal and shifter housing in the "low" position. Remove the harness cover by pulling toward the lower end of the column, be careful not to damage the wires.

1. Remove the three switch mounting screws and pull the switch straight up, guiding the wiring harness and cover through the column housing.

Installation

CAUTION: It is extremely important that only the specified screws, bolts and nuts be used at assembly, or personal injury could result. Use of overlength screws could prevent a portion of the assembly from compressing under impact.

1. All except Tilt - Be sure that the wiring harness is in the protector. Feed the connector and cover down through the housing and under the mounting bracket (column in vehicle). Tilt - Feed the connector down through the housing and under the mounting bracket. Then install the cover on the harness.

1. Install the three mounting screws and clip the connector to the bracket on the jacket.
  2. Install the column to instrument panel trim plate.
  3. Install the hazard warning knob and directional signal lever.
  4. Make certain that the switch is in "Neutral" and the hazard warning knob is out. Slide the thrust washer, upper bearing preload spring and cancelling cam onto the upper end of the shaft.

1. Place the lock plate onto the end of the shaft. Screw the center post of the Lock Plate Compressing Tool J-23653 onto the steering shaft as far as it will go. Place a NEW snap ring over the center post. Place the "C" bar over the center post and then compress the lock plate by turning the nut clockwise. Slide the new snap ring down the tapered center post and into the shaft groove. Remove Tool J-23653.
Ignition Lock Cylinder

Fig. 6 Ignition lock installation. Exc. G & P models

EXC. 1980---85 G & 1980---87 P MODELS

1. Remove steering wheelas
  2. Remove turn signal switch as
  3. Place ignition switch in ``Run'' position, then remove lock cylinder retaining screw and lock cylinder.
  4. To install, rotate lock cylinder to stop, while holding housing as shown, Fig. 6. Align cylinder key with keyway in housing, then push lock cylinder assembly into housing until fully seated.
  5. Install lock cylinder retaining screw. Torque screw to 40 inch lbs. for standard columns, or 22 inch lbs. for adjustable columns.
  6. Install buzzer switch, turn signal switch and steering wheel.
Ignition Lock Cylinder & Upper Column Components
  1. To assemble bearing housing, proceed as follows:
    1. Using a suitable socket, press bearings into bearing housing.
    2. Install lock shoe springs, lock shoes and shoe pin into bearing housing.
    3. Install shoe release lever, spring and pin.
    4. Install sector drive shaft and snap ring into housing.
    5. Install lock bolt and engage bolt with sector cam.
    6. Install rack and spring. Block tooth on rack should engage block tooth on sector.
    7. Install tilt release lever.
    8. Install lock bolt spring and retaining bolt. Torque bolt to 35 inch lbs.
  1. On C, G and K models, install shift lever spring into housing.
  2. On Caballero and El Camino models, install shift lever spring into shift bowl.
  3. Install bearing support lock plate and wave washer.
  4. On C, G and K models, carefully install shift tube into lower end of steering column jacket. Install wobble plate end of tool J-23073 into upper end of shift tube. Install adapter over end of tube, seating it against the lock plate. Place nut onto threaded portion of tool and pull shift tube into housing. Remove tool.
  5. On Caballero and El Camino models, install bearing support thrust washer and retaining ring. Carefully install shift tube into lower portion of steering column jacket. Align shift tube key with shift bowl keyway. Using tool J-23073, pull shift tube into the shift bowl. Install thrust washer and retaining ring. Install actuator rod through support hole between shift bowl and steering column jacket.
  6. Install bearing support. Align bearing support ``V'' with ``V'' on steering column jacket. Install attaching bolts through support and into lock plate. Torque attaching bolts to 60 inch lbs.
  7. Align lower bearing adapter or bushing with notches in steering column jacket. Install lower bearing, bearing reinforcement and retaining clips. Ensure clips align with reinforcement slots on steering column jacket and adapter assembly.
  8. Install centering spheres and anti-lash spring onto upper shaft. Install lower steering shaft assembly.
  9. On C, G and K models, install steering shaft assembly into shift tube. Install ignition switch actuator rod through shift lever housing.
  10. On Caballero and El Camino models, position shift bowl into Park (counterclockwise to stop). Install ignition switch actuator rod between shift bowl and steering column jacket.
  11. Assemble bearing housing over steering shaft and engage rack over actuator rod end.
  12. On Caballero and El Camino models, position access hole of bearing housing over dimmer switch actuator rod end.
  13. While holding the locking shoes in the disengaged position, install bearing housing over steering shaftuntil pivot pin holes align with holes in support assembly.
  14. Install pivot pins.
  15. Place bearing housing in the full up (tilt) position. Install tilt lever spring guide, spring and spring retainer.
  16. On C, G and K models, proceed as follows:
    1. Install upper bearing inner race and race seat.
    2. Install tilt lever opening shield.
    3. Remove tilt release lever, then install turn signal housing. Torque housing attaching screws to 45 inch lbs.
    4. Install tilt release lever, shift lever and lever retaining pin.
    5. Install lock cylinder, turn signal switch and ignition switch assembly.
    6. Install intermediate shaft onto upper shaft assembly. Tighten clamp bolt nut. While tightening the clamp bolt nut, the clamp bolt must be drawn through the shaft assembly under cut.
    7. Install neutral safety or back-up light switch. Connect electrical connectors onto neutral safety or back-up light switch.
    8. Install dash panel to steering column attaching bolts. Torque bolts to 30 ft. lbs.
  1. On Caballero and El Camino models, proceed as follows:
    1. Install tilt lever opening shield into cover.
    2. Remove tilt release lever.
    3. Install housing cover. Torque housing cover screws to 45 inch lbs.
    4. Install buzzer switch onto spring clip retainer. Push switch and clip assembly into cover hole until switch ``snaps'' into lock cylinder bore.
    5. Install turn signal switch wires and electrical connector through column cover, bearing housing and shift bowl assembly.
    6. Install actuator ball arm into pivot slot.
    7. Install hazard warning knob, bearing inner race, race seat, bearing preload spring, canceling cam and lock plate.
    8. Using a suitable tool, depress lock plate and install snap ring. Ensure snap ring completely seats into groove.
    9. Install tilt release lever and turn signal switch lever.
    10. Install upper shift lever and lever retaining pin.
    11. Install lock cylinder, shaft lock cover and ignition switch. Connect electrical connector onto ignition switch.
    12. Install dash panel to steering column attaching bolts. Torque attaching bolts to 30 ft. lbs.

Fig. 13 Tilt steering column and components. Automatic transmission,exc. Astro Van, S/T 10-15 & Safari

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.