David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

How to replace a fuel pump in a 2005 chevy malibu 2.2L. I

How to replace a fuel pump in a 2005 chevy malibu 2.2L. I know the basics. What socket sizes do I need, do i need any specialty tools?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.

You need to remove the fuel tank to access the fuel pump.There is a special socket to remove the pump from the fuel tank but I just use a hammer and large flat head screw driver instead.You will need a set of metric sockets and and medium length extension.here is the service info to replace the pump.

Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement (Malibu Sedan)

Tools Required

J 45722 Fuel Sender Lock Ring Wrench

Removal Procedure

Caution: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury that may result from a fuel leak, always replace the fuel sender gasket when reinstalling the fuel sender assembly.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  2. Relieve the system fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief.
  3. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining.
  4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  5. Remove the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement.
  6. Disconnect the electrical and ventilation connections on the modular fuel sender assembly cover.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Notice: Avoid damaging the lock ring. Use only J-45722 to prevent damage to the lock ring.

Notice: Do Not handle the fuel sender assembly by the fuel pipes. The amount of leverage generated by handling the fuel pipes could damage the joints.

Important: Do NOT use impact tools. Significant force will be required to release the lock ring. The use of a hammer and screwdriver is not recommended. Secure the fuel tank in order to prevent fuel tank rotation.

7. Use the J 4572 and a long breaker-bar in order to unlock the fuel sender lock ring.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important:

The modular fuel sender assembly may spring up from its position.
    When removing the modular fuel sender assembly from the fuel tank, be aware that the reservoir bucket is full of fuel. It must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid damage to the float. Discard fuel sender O-ring and replace with a new one.
    Carefully discard the fuel in the reservoir bucket into an approved container.

8. Raise the fuel sender assembly out of the tank far enough to access the ventilation harness connection on the underside of the module cover.
  9. Disconnect the ventilation harness quick connect before attempting to fully remove the modular fuel sender assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install a new O-ring on the modular fuel sender to tank.
  2. Connect the ventilation harness inside the fuel tank to the bottom of the modular fuel sender cover.
  3. Slowly apply pressure to the top of the spring loaded sender cover until the sender aligns flush with the surface of the tank.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important:

Some lock rings were manufactured with "DO NOT REUSE" stamped into them. These lock rings may be reused if they are not damaged or warped.
    Inspect the lock ring for damage due to improper removal or installation procedures. If damage is found, install a NEW lock ring.
    Check the lock ring for flatness.

Important: Always replace the fuel sender seal when installing the fuel sender assembly. Replace the lock ring if necessary. DO NOT apply any type of lubrication in the seal groove.

Ensure the lock ring is installed with the correct side facing upward. A correctly installed lock ring will only turn in a clockwise direction.

4. Use the J 45722 in order to install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a clockwise direction.
  5. Turn the lock ring until the ring seats on the second detent.
  6. Connect the electrical and ventilation connections to the modular fuel sender assembly cover.
  7. Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Refill the tank.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  11. Inspect for fuel leaks through the following steps:
    11.1. Turn the ignition to the ON position for two seconds
    11.2. Turn the ignition to the OFF position for ten seconds.
    11.3. Turn the ignition to the ON position
    11.4. Check for fuel leaks.

Fuel Tank Replacement (Malibu Sedan)

Removal Procedure

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
  2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining .
  3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicl in General Information.
  4. Disconnect the fuel pump module harness electrical connector from the vehicle underbody wiring harness.
  5. Disconnect the evaporative emissions (EVAP) vent valve solenoid harness electrical connector from the vehicle underbody wiring harness.
  6. If applicable, disengage the antilock brake system (ABS) wiring harness from the retainer on the side of the EVAP canister.
  7. Disconnect the fuel feed and purge lines at the fuel and brake line bundle on the right side of the vehicle.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Cap or plug the fuel tank feed and vapor return pipes to prevent fuel loss and/or contamination.
    Object Number: 889977  Size: SH

9. Loosen the fuel filler pipe jumper hose clamp at the fuel tank (1).
  10. Disconnect the fuel filler pipe jumper hose from the fuel tank.
  11. Disconnect the vapor recirculation line that runs parallel to the fuel filler pipe jumper hose.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  12. Release the exhaust pipe insulators from the underbody hangers.
  13. Release the muffler insulator from the underbody hanger and slowly lower the exhaust to rest on a tall jackstand. If this is not possible, remove the rear half of the exhaust system at the take down flange.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

14. Have an assistant support the fuel tank during fuel tank strap removal, and during tank removal. Or use an appropriate jack to support the fuel tank during removal
  15. Remove front LH fuel tank strap bolts.
  16. Remove the RH tank strap bolts.
  17. In order to clear the exhaust pipe, slowly lower the RH side of the fuel tank.
  18. Once the tank is clear of the RH frame rail, remove the fuel tank down and forward toward the RH side of the vehicle.
  19. If only the fuel tank is to be replaced, remove the fuel pump module assembly from the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. If fuel tank replacement was necessary, install the fuel pump module assembly to the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .
  2. Have an assistant support the fuel tank during fuel tank and fuel tank strap installation.
  3. Begin to install the LH side of the fuel tank over the exhaust pipe.
  4. Raise the RH side of the fuel tank into position inboard of the RH frame rail. Use care in feeding the fuel feed, the EVAP vapor pipe, and the fuel pump module electrical harness over the exhaust system.
  5. Install the RH fuel tank strap and strap bolts.
  6. Install the LH fuel tank strap and strap bolts.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

7. Tighten the fuel tank strap bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Raise the exhaust into position and install the muffler insulator to the underbody hanger.
  9. Install the exhaust extension pipe insulators to the underbody hangers.
  10. Connect the fuel pump module harness electrical connector to the vehicle underbody connector.
    Object Number: 889977  Size: SH

11. Connect the fuel filler pipe jumper hose to the fuel tank.

Notice: Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Notice in the Preface section.

12. Tighten the fuel filler pipe jumper hose clamp (1) at the fuel tank.

Tighten
    Tighten the clamp to 4 N·m (35 lb in).

13. Connect vapor recirculation line that runs parallel to the fuel filler pipe jumper hose.
  14. Remove the caps or plugs from the fuel tank feed and vapor return pipes.
  15. Connect the fuel feed and vapor purge lines to the fuel and brake line bundle on the right side of the vehicle.
  16. Connect the fuel sender electrical connector to the underbody harness and connect the EVAP purge valve electrical connector to the underbody harness.
  17. Attach the ABS harness (if applicable) to the retainer on the side of the EVAP canister.
  18. Lower the vehicle.
  19. Refill the fuel tank.
  20. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  21. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
    21.1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.
    21.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    21.3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    21.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

David H, GM master certified
Experience: Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified