Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1995 Chevy Blazer S10. Power seat (driver) wont work at all

Customer Question

1995 Chevy Blazer S10. Power seat (driver) won't work at all (i bought it this way) and it's stuck in far-back position. Fuse is fine. From what i can read online sounds like there may be a relay or switch under the seat.
My question is - what now? should i pull this seat or is there a way to find/get to relay or switch ? alternatives? suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
Hi do the other functions work like the tilting of the front and rear ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

none of the functions work; there are like 3 knobs/buttons/rocker-switches on the side of the seat and none of them has any effect. no noises or anything to indicate the motor is even trying.

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
in the fuse box did you inspect the circuit breaker ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not following you - checked fuse in the fuse box, no circuit breaker present.
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
there a large fuse like element that is metallic not plastic, this is a circuit breaker did you see it in the box ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yup; listed as PWR ACCY - saw in owner manual it also relates to power seat as well as other items. pulled it, inspect visually but that's it. could put voltmeter on it - but not sure what i woudl be checking for (DC 12V or??)

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
does your meter have resistance measurement ?
if not then temporarily strip a wire about 3 inches long of all its protective plastic and use the copper strips to create a bridge between the two tips of the circuit breaker, this will over ride the circuit breaker and if that is the problem when you put it into the fuse box you should have power to the seats etc...
This is only temporary and for a minute, not a permanent fix, if it works take it off right away and buy one tomorrow morning .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'll give it a shot. according to manual though; that circuit breaker serves the power door locks as well, adn they are working. but i'll try the bridge suggestion...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oh by the way - my meter does have resistance measurement, but i'm not expert at using it, and bigger problem is that i can't get the voltmeter leads close enough to the circuit breaker to have it partially in and still contact with the circuit breaker leads.

trying the 3" wire thing...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried the 3" wire bridging two leads on circuit breaker - still no power seat.
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
ok let me see..can you get to the connector of the 6 way switch ?
is it a 4 door or 2 door automatic or manual and does it have throttlebody injection ?

Edited by jcv2118 on 8/9/2010 at 12:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

4dr auto. don't know about TBI.
about 6 way switch - that was what i was wondering with question post; do i need to pull seat to get to switch?

the switches on side aren't easily accessible w/o pulilng the panel they are on, which of course is attached by same bolt holding seat onto rails.

i'm going to pull seat and hopefully get a better view, what else to do on a sunday?

right back...

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
ok good..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

of course; one of the bolts to pull up the seat was nearly impossible to get to since the seat is stuck in the far-back position. had a couple guys give it a shot but couldn't get a decent fit on the bolt and to compound problem - bolt was exceptionall tight.

seat is still in place, but i was able to get enough play in the seat to pull down the controls (left-lever is front of seat tilt, center joystick for up/down/back/forth, and right lever is back of seat tilt)... with back end exposed. but not sure if this helps other than to test voltage?

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
yes I will tell you what you should have in every wire color on the switch connector so we can find out whats wrong.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any direction here or should i relist?
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 4 years ago.
no, actually here are the colors of the wires and I will tell you what you should look for. You did say that you now can see the connector itself right ?
1 orange wire 12V
1 black wire ground
When moving the horizontal motor forward on a tan wire 12V and on a lt green wire ground. Nothing on any of the others at this time. Let me know..