david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

1997 chevy s10: oil pump..oil pressure gauge..it some gas with clutch

Customer Question

have a 1997 chevy s10 v4 2.3 with what i have been told a bad oil pump. the oil pressure gauge would slightly hold a charge below normal for the most part but at time it would fall to near red give it some gas with clutch pressed and it would charge back up. the other day it complete fell into the red and wouldnt come off of it. have dry knocking in cylinder 1 had someone look at it they said motor sounds intact still. does this sound like failed oil pump or something else? oh truck has 177k miles if that helps.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Yes this sounds like a bad oil pump. Running the engine with no or low oil pressure will blow the engine.

If you need the removal and install instructions for the oil pump please just ask.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes please would much like proper instructions on how to remove oil pan so i can get to oil pump outside of that thank you.
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
OK It is a lot essayer to replace the oil pump with the engine out of the truck.

But it can be done in the truck

First you need to jack up the front of the truck using jack stands.

Now remove both engine mount bolts. With a jack jack up the engine about 4" to 6" and place a 2/4 or 2/6 to hold the engine up.

Now you can remove the oil pan and the pump.

Remove the oil pan bolts (It may be necessary to use a narrow putty knife to separate the oil pan from the block)

Oil pump

Oil Pump

To Remove:

1. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Oil pump drive bolt
    • Oil pump drive Remove by lifting and turning the oil pump drive
    • Bolt that attach's the oil pump to the rear main bearing cap
    • Oil pump
    • Oil pump drive shaft
    • Oil pump drive shaft retainer
CAUTION
Do not crack the oil pump drive shaft retainer
CAUTION
A loose oil pump tube can cause an air leak and a loss of oil pressure

To install
Inspect the oil pump pickup tube, must fit tight into pump body
Clean and inspect the oil pump and mating surfaces
It must be clean and free of burrs

Install or connect the following:
  • Oil pump drive by twisting into place
  • Oil pump drive bolt
    1. Torque to: 18 ft lb (25 Nm)
    2. Oil pump drive shaft retainer on the oil pump drive shaft
    3. Oil pump drive shaft into the oil pump
    4. Oil pump and bolt
      1. Torque to: 32 ft lb (43 Nm)
    5. Engine oil pan

CAUTION
Do not crack the oil pump drive shaft retainer when installing the oil pump drive shaft

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried jacking up the motor without the front of the truck jacked up with motor mounts disconnected does it only work if front of truck is jack up?