Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My 94 camaro 3.

Customer Question

my 94 camaro 3.4 will not start, if i spray brake parts cleaner into the intake it doesnt run but if i let it sit for about 30sec i crank it and it starts for half a second, iv changed the pump relay and checked all the fuses i know about, i disconnected the fuel filter from the fuel pump to see if it push out and it did
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L vin S SFI 6cyl.

For the wiring diagrams, click here, here and here. Refer to the 1st wiring diagram and check the PCM IGN Fuse #5 15A (hot in run or start), in the I/P Fuse block. If ok, you should hear the fuel pump run for the first 2 seconds the key is turned to run. If not and fuse is ok, check for voltage at the gray wire coming off the fuel pump relay. You could also connect a fused jumper wire to the fuel pump prime connector and test the pump and wiring to it. If no voltage at the gray wire, check for power to the relay at the pink wire. If ok, check the ground or jump to a good ground from the black/white wire. If the fuel pump still don't run check for the signal voltage from the dark/green wire with key on run for first 2 seconds.

If pump runs and it still will not start check for codes. Check if check engine light is on or flashing. Refer to diagram #2 and check the fuel injector fuses, the #9 and #10 both 7.5A (hot in run or start) in the underhood electrical center. If ok, check for voltage at each injector at the pink/black wires. If ok and still no start, check for a voltage pulse with a noid light on the wires coming out of injectors leading to the PCM.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-6-pcs-noid-light-set/_/N-26gh?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=noid+light&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=948078_0_0_

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

today im trying to find a way to get the gas in it out cuz i thinks its clogged the fuel lines, or something...so can i unplug the filter and turn the key over one click to get it pumpin out until its dry then fill it back up..cuz the fuel in it has pollen and everything in it..the last time is ran it was running fine then when i pressed on the gas its bogg down then go up then i cut the car off and it never started back up...should i fuel pressure test it befor i do anything and tell you what i get?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

The fuel pump will probably only run for 2 seconds unless the engine starts or is being cranked. They is a way to keep the fuel pump running though if the fuel pump does in fact run and that is to hook a fused jumper wire to the fuel pump prime connector at the gray wire as seen in that first diagram. Yes you should pressure test it as well as a volume test. The pressure should be 41-47 PSI with A/C system off and ignition on run. Volume should fill a pint glass jar in about 30 seconds.

If you recently poured any fuel system cleaner into the gas tank you may have dislodged and bunch of dirt, rust and whatnot and it may be clogging not only the fuel filter but the pickup screen on the fuel pump. Also, if the gas is more than 1 year old it may be stale. Also, if you constantly run on less than 1/8th of a tank it may have water in it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Theres a clink from something when i turn the key over..all the gear turn over but how am i suppose to hear the fuel pump start turnin on?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

If you cannot hear it from where you are at have someone else turn the key to on while you take off the gas cap and put your ear up to the filler neck and listen for the fuel pump to kick on.

Unless of course you have a fuel pressure gauge you could just hook that up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hear it put preasure in the fuel pump
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

You really should be using starting fluid, its more flammable.

1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L SFI 6cyl.

Did you check the voltage to the fuel injectors and the pulse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When i use starting fluid last time the car caught on fire.. it starts then stops, yes its all good
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
If you have voltage to the fuel injectors and a pulse plus spark from the spark plugs then either it is out of time, wires crossed, bad stale gas or the fuel injectors are clogged. Granted also it could be mechanical with the engine, such as low compression and/or a blown head gasket. You said it caught on fire, is it backfiring through the intake? If so you may have a blown head gasket or intake valves not seating. Have you by any chance had the distributor out of the engine just prior to this problem? Did the problem of not starting happen gradually or all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all of a sudden after i put bad gas in it on accident..gas that sitting outside for 6months in a lil 2gallon full of gas that didnt have a top on it so it got all watery and polinated in the gas and i didnt know til a friend told me
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
You are going to have to get all that bad gas out of there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can i do that?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

What I would do is get a hand siphon pump and if the hose is not long enough to fit down into the tank get an extra hose and hose clamp. Siphon the tank dry then add at least 5 gallons of new fresh gas and also some drygas to help absorb any water.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my camaro has a blocker in it so that a hose doesnt fit in it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
YOu should be able to reach down in there and hold the blocker open while pushing in and out a hose. You may need a smaller diameter hose, also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i got a fuel pressure tester and it didnt read anything at all..bad fuel pump?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

Well, that would depend on whether or not the fuel pump is getting voltage or not. I thought you said before, "i disconnected the fuel filter from the fuel pump to see if it push out and it did" Nonetheless, check for voltage to the fuel pump first at the gray wire. Also, I was thinking last nite when you asked about draining the tank. You could disconnect the fuel filter and hook a fused jumper wire to the prime connector at the fuel pump relay and pump the fuel out if the fuel pump does work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im pretty sure its the fuel pump..heard about the trap door option but dont know if im skilled enough to do it at all
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
I don't know what you mean by "trap door option". If you disconnect that fuel filter like you did last time and hook a jumper to the prime connector at the fuel pump relay, the gray wire you should be able to pump all that bad gas out. Then put in fresh gas and try that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay iv changed the fuel pump and cam sensor, still wont run..im getting spark and gas but i guess the fuel injectors arent opening..and did a light test and on top of the engine theres a plug in from wires to the fuel injectors and getting no electric to it..what do i do man
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Refer to diagram #2 and check the fuel injector fuses, the #9 and #10 both 7.5A (hot in run or start) in the underhood electrical center. When I say check the fuses I mean actually check them for voltage with a 12 volt test light or voltmeter not just see if the fuses look blown or not. Fuse #9 will feed injectors 1,3 and 5. Fuse #10 will feed injectors 2,4, and 6. Are you testing for voltage at the pink wire or pink/black wire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i checked it on both wires and the fuses are good
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
If the fuses are ok and you have power to them then there is an open wire, the pink wire or pink/black wire.