Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

2003 suburban: replaced battery..it blows out of defrost when u..vents

Customer Question

what does code bo 263 mean ? I replaced battery in 2003 suburban and now temp control will not work right it blows out of defrost when u have it set on vents.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The following DTCs are for the HVAC door actuators:

• B0263 is for the mode actuator.

Did you try the actuator recalibration?

Re-Calibrating Actuators

Actuator Recalibration

When replacing the HVAC control module it will be necessary to allow the HVAC control module to perform a calibration process. When installing the HVAC control module be sure to perform the following:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the scan tool.
  3. Install the HVAC control module.
  4. Connect all previously disconnected components.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  7. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs. When replacing the HVAC actuator it will be necessary to allow the HVAC control module to perform a calibration process. When installing the HVAC actuator be sure to perform one of the following: Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

Preferred Method (w/ Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. With the scan tool, initiate the Motor Re-calibration feature of the Heating and Air Conditioning Special Functions menu.
  7. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs. Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

Alternative Method (w/o Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  5. Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
  6. Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
  7. Start the vehicle.
  8. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  9. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is hvac module and actuator located

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still didn work. i hooked scan tool back to it and went to datastreem and i have no data.
That could be the HVAC controller, but there has been some issues with the wiring harness. It seems like the wiring harness might be the problem here, if it all was working before.

A/C - Defaults To Defrost Mode/Poor Control

Bulletin No.: 04-01-38-008

Date: June 17, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject:
HVAC System Cannot be Controlled or Defaults to Defrost Mode (Repair HVAC Actuator Harness) Models:
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

Condition

^ Some customers may comment that they cannot control the HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system. Others may comment that the HVAC system defaults to the Defrost mode.
^ Technicians may find that the following diagnostic trouble codes have set:
^ B0229 Recirculation Actuator
^ B0414 Left Air Temperature Actuator
^ B0424 Right Air Temperature Actuator
^ B3770 Mode Actuator Cause

The HVAC actuator harness may contact a sharp edge on the instrument panel support brace, causing a rub through condition and a ground out of the actuator control and/or feedback circuits.

Correction

graphic

Locate the HVAC actuator harness contact point shown by the arrow in the above illustration. The illustration is of the instrument panel with the instrument panel compartment door opened and folded downward. The actuator harness is located in the left side of the opening in the instrument panel.

Technicians are to inspect the HVAC actuator harness for contact with the instrument panel support brace. Repair any damage to the actuator harness wiring and install protective plastic conduit over the harness. Install friction tape over the sharp edge of the instrument panel brace. Clear the diagnostic trouble codes and verify proper HVAC system operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we changed controller still does same thing. checked wiring same thing. all we did is install new battery.

I never had that type of problem with one, but wait, there may be someone who has. Let me open it back up. Thank you for your patience, no need to reply as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I'm sure.