George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

how can put push rod in order on a 98 malibu 3.1

Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The key is to look at the exhaust manifold/ The exhaust ports are a straight shot to the valve so you can identify the exhaust valves and install the longer push rods for those valves/rockers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know that the exhaust push rod or 6.0 and intake or 5 3/4 also i can see the valve from the in side of the engine looking inside of the engine from right to left i see the the intake valven is that right
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The order from the pulley end of the engine on the back bank is I,E,I,E,E,I

The intake springs sit higher than the exhaust and the exhaust valves are canted further from the cam so the rod are longer

Just a couple more clues to be sure you get them in the right order

let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks when i pull the push rod out of the engine from left to right from the front of the car E. I. I . E. I . E. E / 6.0 I / 5 3/4 ALSO WHEN I TIGHTEN DOWN ON ROCKER ARM THE BOOK SAYS 168in wich is 14 lb also it says rotate an additional 30- degrees do i have to rotate additional 30 - degrees

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The procedure I use is to tighten to 124 inch lbs (10 ft lbs) then tighten 30 degrees further

I am no sure what you are telling me above, the longer rods are the exhaust not the intake.

Lose the left to right and refrence all positions to the front (pulley end) of the engine and the front and rear banks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please please please understand reason i'm tell you the exhause are 6.0 because when i pull the push rod out of three other car malibu 3.1 98 the the exhause push or from left to right from the front of the engine exhause / intake intake / exhause / intake/ exhause. how can it be I. E.I.E.E.I
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Forget about the order just put the longer rods on the exhaust rockers and the shorter on the intakes. It is easy to see which valves are the intake (higher springs and closer to the cam) and the exhaust (lower springs, further from the cam and canted over more)

The exhaust pushrods are 6.0 inches in length and the intakes are 5.75 inches long.

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years