Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2005 chevy silverado 1500 hd: start my..wont start..turn key..restart

Customer Question

every so often go start my 2005 chevy siverado 2500 hd it wont start. turn key off and restart sometimes it takes 3or4 times before it starts and other times no problems. what is causing this?
Submitted: 6 years ago via
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Does the starter not engage at all when this occurs?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing happens even lights go out just like its a dead battery
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
When this occurs, check the STARTER relay in the underhood fuse panel while someone else turns the key. If the starter relay clicks as the key is turned to start, the problem is either in the relay or the starter. Swap the relay with another relay in the fuse panel. If the problem continues, the starter is at fault. Starter failure that is intermittent like this is very common on these trucks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what if it dont click at the starter relay? does this mean we can rule out the ignition switch?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
If the relay does not click, then there is a possiblity of the problem being either in the ignition switch or the park/neutral switch. Test for power at the CRANK fuse in the underhood fuse panel with the key in the start position. If you have power at the CRANK fuse, the igntion switch is okay and the problem would be in the neutral safety switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had wrote last Aug about my 2005 chevy 2500 silverado hd on not starting every once an while. I did nothing to it and it was working fine until lately its doing the same thing. So I do some checking, with help I tested for power on the ignition side of the starter when key was turned on and had no power. I can hear the relay clicking to and also the lights stay on do not dimm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also checked under the dash at the ignition wire for power at that black wire plug in and do have power there. This is very intermittent sometimes it takes several times turning the key
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine does not turn over
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If the relay clicks but there is no power on the smaller wire at the relay then the relay is bad. Try swapping it with another relay in the panel that is the same and verify that the engine starts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I swapped the relays and no change
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If the relay is clicking, this indicates that the fuse is good and the relay is getting the crank signal from the ignition switch through the neutral safety switch. Swapping the relay did not help, so the relay is not the problem. The only other possibility is the starter itself. Place your hand on the starter relay and have someone else turn the key to start. If you feel the relay click for sure then the starter will have to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have any power thru the small wire to the starter when trying to start. I double checked the starter relay and its clicking. Is there a possibility that the small wire could be bad going to starter
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
It is possible that the wire is broken between the relay and the starter. I have seen many instances where the wiring underneath the underhood fuse panel has been eaten by rodents. You can remove the diagonal brace at the rear of the drivers side fender, then remove the plastic shroud around the fuse panel to inspect this wiring. The wire that goes from the relay panel to the starter is a thick purple wire.